Salty locks

Did a job today on an up-market apartment right on the beach front. The complex was only 3 years old. I had to re-key a bunch of k/sets. The tenants had been complaining about all their locks being tight and stiff to use. Well, growing on every lock spindle were great lumps of salt crystals, even the bibles were chock full of salt. I couldn't believe the rust and corrosion around the complex. Even the external air conditioning units were just about rusted out. Wonder how long your car would last parked in that environment ?.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Belonging to an antique car group here in the states.. we get some 'interesting' stories..

a beautiful car picture was posted...for sale... located x miles from a certain city.. nice and shiny...5 miles from the ocean

not a dent or blemish on the paint, but the weeds were grown up a few inches all around it...

guy went and looked at it.. the BOTTOM 6" of the entire car, including the frame and lower floor panels was entirely rusted away..all the doors and fenders, etc.. The owner said he drove the car to that spot 6 years previous..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Being a bit of a joker, I will suggest that you relube with pepper. After all, it's a lot like graphite. In appearance.

I'm predicting they will have a LOT of maintenance problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't think salt dissolved in diesel. Wouldn't you use water?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:KQLdg.7522$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

the locksmith told me that he cleaned the locks with diesel. don't know what it does with salt but it probably did good with the corrosion.

Reply to
Key