setting up a forge

alright this looks like a pretty good site for a brake forge
http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/tut_coal_forge_warner.shtml
any problems with it?
In general, the use of a grate rather than a clinker breaker does limit utility somewhat. You will have to poke slag through those salt-shaker holes or stop and clean the fire out more often. I say "somewhat" because I have used a simple grate-type, light weight forge with a hand cranked blower for portable demonstrations for the last 15 years with no serious problems, forge welding included. To see the other side of the coin, take this link:
http://www.beautifuliron.com/forge_brakedrum.htm
I think this guy is a little extreme, but he does make several good points, so read the whole article. As the guy says, money IS the object here. It's up to you. In my shop, I have a nice deep cast iron firepot with a clinker breaker. This is the style I prefer to use, but that forge weighs about 200 pounds and is connected more-or-less permanently to its chimney.
Your first forge doens't have to be your last forge.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

spaco wrote:

Side blast would be a better option, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking up the clinkers.
Second that your first forge doesn't have to be your last, and if you get the bug it definitely wont be :-)
Out of interest what do you want to make?
Regards Charles
i think i want to make knives and short swords for a while but mostly knives untill i get pretty good at it, ill probably tinker alot to tho.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

In that case :-
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)83567632&sr=1-1>
Get this book, it will teach you how to get up an running very quickly, and at a minimal cost. It covers everything you need to know.
I get a lot of satisfaction when I make a sword :-) I think I'll get more joy now that I have access to spring steel sheet :-)
Regards Charles
Har! Try this Charles...next time you are doing a demonstration and someone says "I'd like to learn to blacksmith" just look em in the eye and ask "Oh? what kind of knife did you want to make?" I think I get about a 90% return on that question, everybody wants to make knives. HEHE

I didn't want to be presumptious ;-) Regards Charles
trahern wrote:

Not only that, but everyone who doesn't have any interest in doing it assumes that that is what you're doing if it gets mentioned. While I did make one knife, I've been asked about a hundred times if I can make a sword, when I'm actually a lot more interested in hammered copper and ornamental things like stair rails. But, I will admit that the thing that got me started was making chisels (until I discovered how much harder it is to hammer high carbon steel than it is to goof off with 1018, that is...)
I blame that old "Conan the Barbarian" movie.
Prometheus wrote:

Crom!

Jesus loves you. Cthulhu loathes you. Odin tolerates you. Crom really doesn't give a damn about you one way or the other.
:)
John Husvar wrote:

Crom, if yoo doo not listen tooo meee den to HELL wid yoo!
Regards Charles P.S. I tried my best to get an Arnold accent to appear in text ;-)

Funny, you don't look Cromish. :)
It came across as Swedish (Chef) to me.
John Husvar wrote:

Bork bork bork?
Regards Charles P.S. It's late and I'm old :-(

Yep! :)

Ya, sure, you betcha! Me. too.