setting up a forge

In general, the use of a grate rather than a clinker breaker does limit utility somewhat. You will have to poke slag through those salt-shaker holes or stop and clean the fire out more often. I say "somewhat" because I have used a simple grate-type, light weight forge with a hand cranked blower for portable demonstrations for the last 15 years with no serious problems, forge welding included. To see the other side of the coin, take this link:

I think this guy is a little extreme, but he does make several good points, so read the whole article. As the guy says, money IS the object here. It's up to you. In my shop, I have a nice deep cast iron firepot with a clinker breaker. This is the style I prefer to use, but that forge weighs about

200 pounds and is connected more-or-less permanently to its chimney.

Your first forge doens't have to be your last forge.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Side blast would be a better option, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking up the clinkers.

Second that your first forge doesn't have to be your last, and if you get the bug it definitely wont be :-)

Out of interest what do you want to make?

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

i think i want to make knives and short swords for a while but mostly knives untill i get pretty good at it, ill probably tinker alot to tho.

Reply to
Cyproz

In that case :-

Get this book, it will teach you how to get up an running very quickly, and at a minimal cost. It covers everything you need to know.

I get a lot of satisfaction when I make a sword :-) I think I'll get more joy now that I have access to spring steel sheet :-)

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

On Jul 3, 7:26 pm, Chilla wrote: Har! Try this Charles...next time you are doing a demonstration and someone says "I'd like to learn to blacksmith" just look em in the eye and ask "Oh? what kind of knife did you want to make?" I think I get about a 90% return on that question, everybody wants to make knives. HEHE

Reply to
trahern

Reply to
Chilla

Not only that, but everyone who doesn't have any interest in doing it assumes that that is what you're doing if it gets mentioned. While I did make one knife, I've been asked about a hundred times if I can make a sword, when I'm actually a lot more interested in hammered copper and ornamental things like stair rails. But, I will admit that the thing that got me started was making chisels (until I discovered how much harder it is to hammer high carbon steel than it is to goof off with 1018, that is...)

I blame that old "Conan the Barbarian" movie.

Reply to
Prometheus

Crom!

Reply to
Chilla

Jesus loves you. Cthulhu loathes you. Odin tolerates you. Crom really doesn't give a damn about you one way or the other.

:)

Reply to
John Husvar

Crom, if yoo doo not listen tooo meee den to HELL wid yoo!

Regards Charles P.S. I tried my best to get an Arnold accent to appear in text ;-)

Reply to
Chilla

Funny, you don't look Cromish. :)

It came across as Swedish (Chef) to me.

Reply to
John Husvar

Bork bork bork?

Regards Charles P.S. It's late and I'm old :-(

Reply to
Chilla

Yep! :)

Ya, sure, you betcha! Me. too.

Reply to
John Husvar

I am sure glad someone finally noticed that flatter. I am glad you said you went to a "camp" and not a school or class. :-)

You may want to check out this web site. It has a number of coal forge designs. If you are going to jump in and build a forge, don't do it until you have at least done enough research and learning to know what you want and need. Your questions tell me you have a lot to learn. There are a huge variety of forges out there, both coal and gas, and most of them work quite well. You may as well build one that will best suit your particular needs and goals. I assume you live in a location where good smithing coal is available.

Ron Reil (The other Ron)

Golden Age Forge

Garden Valley, Idaho Phone: (208) 462-4028

Reply to
Ron Reil