Knife with apricot

I think it looks pretty good. The apricot has a lot a character and I really need to learn how to take better pictures to show off stuff like
that. I've got another coat or 2 of oil to put on the handle.
Pictures here http://www.geocities.com/son_of_bluegrass/recent.html
Opinions welcome.
ron
Cool :-)
r payne wrote:

Chilla wrote:

I really is a pretty knife. I like the shape of the grips.
Are you using a tripod when you take these photos? This alone can improve a photograph 200%! Also, if you can set your apature (f/stop) to a larger number, say about f/11 or f/16, and use the tripod because the shutter speeds will be much slower, you'll get sharper detail and greater depth of field (sharp from front to back) in your photos.
Steve Kramer "PhotoEnvisions" Photography Chiang Mai, Thailand http://www.photoenvisions.com
Are you using a tripod when you take these photos? This alone can improve a photograph 200%! Steve Kramer
*****Hmmmmm Does'nt do a lot for those amateur snaps you take Pinkie......

**Though it makes a nasty weapon with which to batter the wife, as Steve's wife Nobuko knows only too well...... :-(
Takin & Kanoknuan wrote:

You guys are party poopers :-( Charles

Say Hey Stevie:
The cameras today have what is called, 'steady hand' for a clear picture. Tripods are a thing of the past.
5555 Yee-Haw !!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That is a really ignorant thing to say. Do you know "anything" about photography?
When you've bought yourself a light tent a camera better than a Kodak disposable, a couple of halogen lights, some backdrops and a tripod. I'd be prepared to listen.
Regards Charles

**I bet he knows more than Steve does. In fact I bet the average 10 year old knows more than Steve does. :-)
http://photoenvisions.tripod.com/great_pretender.jpg

Steve Kramer wrote:

I don't own a tripod :( Maybe I'll try my hand at making one. Of course something better than a 10 yr old Sony Mavica would probably help as much or more.
ron
When r payne put fingers to keys it was 6/28/07 12:25 PM...

Anything that'll hold a 1/4"-20 bolt still will do the job. One of mine is a C clamp with a bolt gas-welded to it. Don't knock the Mavica.
- Carl
r payne wrote:

Sony puts out a nice 10 mega pixel camera... I like my one :-)
Regards Charles
r payne wrote:

Ron, the Mavica isn't a bad camera. I've seen some very good photos taken with one. But you DO need to keep it absolutely steady when you shoot. If you don't have a tripod, set up some thick books to set the camera on, with the top one some sort of wedge to angle the camera downward. Or if you are handy, just bring your camera to a hardware store, buy a short stove bolt to fit the tripod hole in the bottom, and a couple of nuts for it, and a large (10") piece of angle iron bracket with the screw holes already in it. You can use a C-clamp to hold the bracket to the back of a chair, and bolt the camera to the other side of the bracket. Instant stability for 50 cents! Another trick is to take a piece of parachute cord and tie the bolt to the end of that. Make the length of the cord about a foot taller than you are, and tie a series of knots about 6" apart in the opposite end. To use, screw the bolt to the bottom of the camera, hold the camera to 'just below' eye level and stand on the knotted string. Now pull the camera up to eye level, making the string taught. Sounds weird but his will work fairly well as a steadying device too.
Steve Kramer "PhotoEnvisions" Photography Chiang Mai, Thailand http://www.photoenvisions.com

Not trying to hijack the thread: I had been using the above procedure when I still had a 35 mm camera. Since I switched to digital cameras I find that they are not the free lunch I was hoping for. Even when using the above procedure I was still getting pictures out of focus
In the end I found that the automatic focusing is nowhere near as good as the old-fashioned manual method. On my Canon I have a manual option but boy is it slow and clunky! Yet I find that when photographing small objects such as knives the results are inferior if I do not use the manual function.
Anyone else found the same? Are there differences between different camera makes in the way they focus?
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Michael Koblic wrote:.

Not only different ways they focus but different fields that they measure in order to focus. Some use 'closest subject priority' while some use 'center focus priority,' etc. Often you can change this setting in the menus of some cameras. It really does make a difference. Add to that the fact that you are shooting very close to your subject, which automatically makes the depth of field smaller. If you can move the 'lens to subject' distance further back, then use the zoom function, you can get a larger depth of field, thus a sharper overall photo.
Steve Kramer "PhotoEnvisions" Photography Chiang Mai, Thailand http://www.photoenvisions.com

******Nice cut and paste Pinkie..................
http://photoenvisions.tripod.com /
LarbGai wrote:

Aw I've got to put this guy in the kill file too :-( Regards Charles
Chilla wrote:

I'm surprised that you haven't already. He's one of the 'three.' And not one stopped by the Ancient Mariner...
Steve Kramer "PhotoEnvisions" Photography Chiang Mai, Thailand http://www.photoenvisions.com

Say Hey Stevie (aka sea traveler)

some sea stories. I bet'cha you can fill a book from all your years of experience from following the sea, huh Stevie, HUH?
5555 Yee-Haw !!