Pretty good gunsmithing DIY site

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the "lions". Christopher Morton

Reply to
Gunner

George

Nice site.

I plan on using the barrel stamping device to label some of my re-barrel projects. Right now I've got a label on the bottom of the stock indicating the appropriate caliber. Probably not the best of methods?

Mike Eberle>

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a

Reply to
mikee

Not a good way. You should scratch into the stock just front of the bolt handle. Fill the scratches with red fingernail polish. :>)

I got a barrel stamping guide from B-Square that is very similar to that one. It works pretty well. I found that using spacers that are slightly thicker than the character size works good. Use like .050 aluminum spacers for 1/32nd" characters, etc.

The narrower characters like "I" and "1" look funny if the spacing is not tightened up a little. For work that I really wanted to look good, I would work out the layout on a piece of round scrap and note down the spacers on the paper with the intended marking.

I know it sounds unnecessary but I always wrote the marking on a piece of paper and crossed them off as I hit them. You'd probably never guess how it came to that. :>)

Reply to
Jack Erbes