help: metal bar with high tension strength

Hi

I am looking for a round metal bar with more than 2500 mpa tension strength. Could someone give me a hint where I could look for it?

I am completly lost.

Thanks Bubu

Reply to
mango

You sure are! 2500MPa is over 360,000psi. The guy who may be able to point you to one or more is Harold but can't you use a thicker bar? Twice the thickness is four times the area and would require 625MPa. That is not very fancy.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards
2500mpa is right up there. (365 kpsi for the English folks) You will need to look in the areospace alloys. We use 4140, about the best you can do with this is 285kpsi (1965 Mpa)
Or you can go to Piano wire in the smaller sizes, don't have the exact numbers handy.

Anything you get in this area will be a real stinker to work with. What size and how do you propose to hold the ends?

mango wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

Send him to the Vasco-Max website, Ted. All I have is their literature. Here's a perfect example of someone needing a super alloy, and a reason to know about them. Maybe my ravings are paying off!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

The mp-35n from carpenter steel migh be close to you numbers. It is at least $35 per pound. Maybe forged 4140 could get clost to thoes number. Check forging some of the 41XX metals first . I was at Durkee testing and old man Durkee said their was a new metal out called "French Metal" that was as strong as you needed but I have asked many of the big alloy metal houses and none of them have any idea of french metal. I have tried to get in touch mr. Durke but have not been able to talk to him. Don ps let me know what you find out.

Reply to
Don Huseman

Better yet, go to

explore.