high tension strength plastic material for extrusion

We quoted aluminum extrsion fridge handle (hollow, 1" X 1/3"), but our customer thought the price was too high. I was asked to find some high tension strength plastic material, so we can quote them plastic extrusion fridge handle. The customer doesn't care about hollow or not and color...

Could some one give me some suggestion about the material? How high the tension strength should be? Thank you advance!

Reply to
Lily Liu

The answer would depend on the force needed to open the door. The wost case scenario would likely be opening the door after it was just shut - maximum internal vacuum. The shape of the handle would also play a part, as that would determine how the imposed stresses would translate into strains.

In general, I would think that the attachment points/attachment mechanism would be the critical stress area to focus on.

John

Reply to
john.spevacek

Hi Lily, In many cases fridge door handles are injection moulded out of ABS, which offers a broad variety of shapes and design. To find a better solution, photopolymer prototyping technique is very useful. There are some other advantages provided by injected plastic solution. One could, for example, develop a handle which is firm and glossy outside (like ABS), but when you give it a grip, you feel a soft and delicate touch of an elastomer (PU) with the tip of your fingers on the other side of the handle. A nice way to hook a customer :-)

Ole

"Lily Liu" ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????: news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Ole

I really really doubt your customers comments about color etc. A 25 or

33% glass filled nylon (type 6 or type 66) would work fine and be stronger than the Al handle it is replacing. If you are making a bunch of them it is probably with it to use a gas assist molding process to give you a hollow part. Nylon will not give a class A type surface finish. ABS will look great, but will not be as strong. Again probably stronger than needed, but you need to get figures from the customer. How many ft-lbs. or psi does the handle need to hold up under?
Reply to
Joseki