Strong Polymer for Optical Fiber Buffer with Appl. in Military

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know what kind of polymers are used for buffer coatings in optical fibers that meet the stringent conditions/requirements of the military.

thanks, max.

Reply to
max

UV-cured urethane acrylate formulations comprise most primary and secondary buffer coatings, including those for mil-spec applications.

Regards R. David Zopf

Reply to
David Zopf

Thanks.

Could you tell me which companies make these formulations and also where would I be able to find specifications of these materials. regards, max

Reply to
max

In the Sates, DSM Desotech has a near-complete merchant-market share (such as it is, these days) on such formulations.

Borden Chemical also sells into this market. For certain, they're very knowledgable;

I undersand that some larger fiber optic manufacturers (Corning Cable, Lucent, etc.) have their own internal recipes.

Good luck finding specifications. My company sells a few urethane acrylate oligomers into the market, and its a total "black box" sale. You may have better luck searching for those military specifications, and have a UV formulator work up something from scratch. I never tried that route, myself (I'm quite happy just to sell raws into the business).

Regards, R. David Zopf Bomar Specialties Co.

Reply to
David Zopf

Cable,

Thanks David,

That was real good information. To add to that, I was also able to find out that Teflon (its derivatives) are used as buffer coatings on fibers for military applications. They are also called fibers for Harsh Environment Conditions and a company called Verrillon makes fibers for that purpose.

max.

Reply to
max