help: round bar with high tension strength

Hi all

I need a special metal bar with 1.6 mm thikness and >2500 mpa tension strength. I even dont have a clue where to look for it? Can any body help me out?

Bubu

Reply to
mango

Try "music wire".

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

"mango" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

I think you would be looking at aircraft cable, as the strongest available in steel:

1.6 mm : 2491 N (catalog at
stainless steel) (2491N -> only 1245 MPa)

If not necessary metal: you would have to look at Kevlar (aramid), Zylon, Epoxy/Carbon, ........ which have tensile strength>2500MPa Finding this in the form of a bar is less easy ...

I looked for this in my thesis, and ended up with the berg-cables. Zylon was the most promising, but good luck finding and applying it in the desired form (don't mention the price ;-) ).

Timothy

Reply to
Timothy

"Timothy" schreef in bericht news:YSwub.30827$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

In rope you can find also a little bit stronger as the SS.

Look also in the cable section.

Another specifiaction you should give is the maximum elongation when in tension ...

Timothy

Reply to
Timothy

how long is the bar? there is a web called webmat i believe. it tells u all the materials and properties

Reply to
HENRIQUECRUZ9

"HENRIQUECRUZ9" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com...

you mean?

Reply to
Timothy

The only metal (high carbon steel) MatWeb came up with:

Reply to
Crooked