Think of the photographers!!

All,

Not sure if anyone here reads the traction pages, but Colin Tyson (Editor of Old Glory) has posted a comment with regard to the way the magazine is run. Without repeating the letter here, his comments eluded to the fact that a large number of the photos that are submitted are not suitable for publication due to orange netting, plastic sacks etc.

This is something that I have come across a lot of as well and it does make it hard to get a decent photo. I think that stationary engine pens are some of the worst offenders for this, caravans not making a very good back drop!

Probably something that we all need to bare in mind when we set up the display. Think of the photographers!!

Regards

Chris Bedo

PS Colin also advises that it is aimed that 15% of OG is non hot-fog related, so there is room for Stationary Engines if we can get the article right.

Reply to
Chris Bedo

I've been thinking about this and am determined over winter to make up a white cloth background supported by sticks. Not rocket science ..............

I can then put it up behind my engine whilst exhibiting to make a good contract for photos (not that anyone wants to take pics of my stuff anyway!) . After a recce, I could roll it up and ask nicely if I can erect it temporarily behind anyone else's that interests me. Should take less than a minute to erect, then take pics and remove.

Might have a problem with the Vickers-Petter, mind.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

A view from the other side of the ropes.

At the Haddenham rally part of the engine enclosure had the dreaded orange netting while the rest had large size chicken wire (turkey wire?). This offers the same sort of protection against small children hurling themselves in and possibly damaging an engine but is far less visually intrusive.

As far as caravans etc go, they are certainly not the most attractive back drop (with the honourable exception of certain classic campers of course Martin) but I can see the attraction of having all your stuff close to hand rather than having to lug it from an exhibitors car park. I reckon Kim's idea of creating a backdrop for the engine is a good one.

General clutter should be easily dealt with by those responsible for marshalling the engine display, but please don't stop the mini junk sales which quite a few exhibitors have. These add something to an engine line up for me and have resulted in more than a few interesting purchases.

I flick through Old Glory most months in Smiths (and buy it twice a year for the events guide) but can't remember the last time I saw any SE coverage apart from the odd photo.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Hi Chris, this post made me remember one of the early 1000 engine rallies at Tatton. We managed to talk some of the local clubs to put on a club display. I can't remember the year & I only found one photo. Has anyone any others or remember this club & the year? Even though they had a good background you can still see the clutter behind. See

Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Don't make it too white Kim, it will throw up all sorts of contrast problems in sunlight. Ever tried photographing dark stuff like engines in the snow? Might I suggest a mid range colour such as grass green which would look more like the ground blending in to the distance. Of course, those with digital cameras can try the various effects without having to wait or pay for the processing. Now those of us who display little engines don't have background problems. All we do is comb the grass with a neat parting.

John

Reply to
John Manders

We tried contacting OG a number of times to see if they were interested in doing anything on the opening of the museum. One letter, 3 emails and 4 answering machine messages later - no answer.

On the other hand, Vintage Spirit have done a really good article on us in the October issue so thankyou to Brian Gooding.

Hazel

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

I'm curious. You don't mention SEM, Paul. Why not?

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I hate that orange netting, and come to that orange rope, with a vengenace. It draws the eye to it in any picture. The green netting isn't too bad, and I can live with that. Having taken a few pictures of one sort and another, I much prefer a plain background devoid of cars, caravans and other detritus. It is amazing what some people surround their engines with :-))

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

This was one of the issues that triggered my comments the other week on the (un)professionalism of many engine displays. (Engines lack clout thread).

I've become competent in Photoshop as a direct result of having to remove clutter in engine photos. Can take hours per photograph if you want a really clean pic. Just done that for a particular Blackstone that I had reason to print. Took 3 evenings, & then I saw it straight after at another rally, & got a clean photo against a hedge background ... & no editing. C'est la vie ...

It's not just engines. We're the worst for clutter, but other candidates for photographer rage include rows of motorcycles parked so close to each other you can't get any decent view, cars surrounded by picnic tables, and aeroplanes that can't be photographed because of the worst problem of all -- all those other people in the way :-)

Did have a ball at Goodwood Festival of Speed. Got there at just after 0600hrs, & had a couple of hours photographing all the unpacking scenes with few obstructions. Delightful, but doesn't work for engines. All those static tarpaulin-covered heaps photograph well, but don't convey the magic of what's under the cover!

Reply to
Colin Osborne

You can buy a flight line pass at Duxford which allows unrestricted access for photography (only) of the flying aircraft.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to