A question regarding rapid traverse and accuracy..

The Cimco Mastercam hsm addon has a setting to use feedrate moves in place of rapid moves. The help popup says "use this if your rapid travel isnt mapped to the program".

It sounds like the machine's g00 locations and the program locations aren't saved together, they are seperate? Anybody got an idea what htis means or if rapid is less accurate than feedrate due to "mapping" whatever the hell that is?

I'm using it, who knows, maybe this is the last tenth I was looking for(right before I shoot myself)

Reply to
vinny

I think I used feed all the time when I was machining...........just did not like to see that 800 x 400 bed whizzing along in rapid when it was not really necessary.......but then again I was not money made production oriented.

dj (Makino FNC80 - deceased)

Reply to
tpow

Vinny:

I would speculate that they are talking about machines that make "dogleg" rapid moves. Where, for instance, if you're rapiding from X0, Y0, to X20 Y10 and both axes of the table move at the maximum speed rate (assuming the max rate is the same on both axes), would end up with the table going in a 45 degree angle to X10, Y10, first - THEN it would continue to move the rest of the way only in X until it reached X20.

Reply to
BottleBob

That's one of the things that the Fanuc 31i control can do. I don't know about other Fanucs.

Reply to
Half-nutz

Bob,

Never used the fadal version we always just did it with manual edits.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Yep. Look in the parameter manual for the setting called "G00 SLOPE CONSTANT"

Reply to
Joe788

Kirk Gordon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gordon-eng2.com:

Virtually any Siemens control. I haven't check the 840D's, but I would believe they are the same, Siemens doesn't change philosophy much on parameter settings and adjustments. I also am pretty positive that Mazak has separate in-position check tolerances. I don't know about fanucked, I try to stay away from them all I can.

Reply to
Anthony

Half-nutz wrote in news:0e74c0af-8745-4cd4-837c- snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Either that, or change the accuracy window parameter. This may result in jerkiness though.

Reply to
Anthony

Depends on the control but most can be so configured.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:jybKj.111$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

I figured as much. The params on all controls are about the same, just named different or something. The design requirements and input parameters won't change because of control brand, that's determined by the application.

Reply to
Anthony

They may have different tracking error tolerances, to allow actual position to lag farther behind intended position during fastr moves; but I think you're mistaken about the in-position values. What would be the point of having a machine that could position within, say, half a tenth when feeding; but only be within two tenths when rapid positioning? Or vise versa? Are you supposed to stop rapid movement early, and feed to position when you want to bore a hole in the right place??

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Exactly correct.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Kirk, they have fine and coarse in-position windows thatcan be called via G code same as Fanuc just different terms, same ole blah blah. Daveb

Reply to
DaveB