Anyone adapting "lean" techniques to their shop?

Not really. You can't, and don't, own anything that can be taken from you. Unlike money, accomplishments aren't fungible.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

IMO, everyone benefits from a well organized, well lit, clean, ergonomic, productive, save environment.

Part of a Kaizen 5S event

Screw Machine Collets & Pushers Before 5S

Polishing/Deburring

------------

Process improvement

CNC Barfeed Lathe Department

Photo was taken during event, don't know why I didn't take/keep a photo when finished. We were placing a setup, operate, inspection, computer work station connected to the network for every two CNC's. If they were planning on doing a setup they go to the online tool crib to get tools. They didn't need to order individual tools etc. everything is already set up in the system before the job is ever released to production floor. They tell the tool crib they are planning on setting up machine number ??? tomorrow morning for work order ???? operation number ??? at 8AM. 7AM the following morning a tool crib attendant drops a cart off at the machine to be setup with all the tools, inserts and inspection equipment needed for that job. Material handlers deliver the material for the job and load it into the machines material queue a minimum of two hours before the job is to be setup. When finished with the setup put previous jobs tools, gages, etc. on the tool crib cart and moved to queue area where someone picks it up and returns it to the tool crib.

The CNC lathes pictured were about 15 years old when I took these photos quite a few years ago and have since been phased out to be replaced with newer machines to keep a competitive advantage.

Great thing about this companies Process Improvement is that it had it's own budget. So when we went into the Screw Machine Department and Kaizen team decides (machine setup/operators say) they needed Lista Cabinets so the tooling could be stored neatly and organized near the machines the Process Improvement Budget pays 50% of the cost and the rest comes from the Screw Machine Departments Budget.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

--------- Again this depends on context and parsing.

A counter example.

At one time I was an ADL programmer/analyst [and would still be with some practice]. ADL for those of us with short memories stands for Applications Development Language which was the programming language for Vulcan/dBase by Ashton-Tate.

I spent a significant amount of time perfecting my skills, and had several commercial programs including RMMIS [standing for Returned Materials Management Information System] used by a Fortune 500 company.

However ADL/dBase passed from any major use and was replaced by SQL/Access among others, thus negating any "accomplishments" I had connected with ADL/dBase.

FWIW -- most anything can be taken from you, even life itself, therefore "accomplishment" is mainly another word for "head game."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

BAMMMMM!!! Well, almost a BAM.... "mindfuck" is actually the term of art.

You'll become scatological yet... I've already seen glimpses. :)

Unfortunately, the scatological is the likely precursor to helpless sputtering, and incoherent mumbling/grumbling.... that, and pursuing the Occult. goodgawd....

Ahm hopin for a few more good years of scatting.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Reply to
John&Michelle

Reply to
John&Michelle

----------- It is -- right up to the time that the bankruptcy papers are served and the padlocks go on the doors.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

A vise good enough to go on a POS VMC with poor maintenance where for years according to you the automatic lubrication oil gage always read zero, tools bang out of the spindle and randomly shoot through the carrousel to bounce around in the work area. like the machines you said you program, setup and operate but don't/didn't do the daily operator checks.

How many tools can handle being shot out of the spindle, through the carousel and bounced around in the work area?

Last time you mentioned a piece of equipment you were looking to add to your garage shop at best Jon could only be described as a hobby grade machine, so much for quality when YOUR money is involved.

What CAD/CAM system did you buy for your garage shop Jon?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr