Anyone going to Names?

I'm heading down in the morning. Just wonderered who other than Brian Lawsom was was there.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I won't make it this year. Too much work going on around the new place, and it's a little bit of a trip from Texas. Have fun.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I, also will be heading to N.A.M.E.S. New location in Southgate, Michigan. (near the old Wyandotte location) Looks to be fairly spacious... Especially looking forward to the foundry demo on Saturday at 2. Chet

Reply to
Chet

I'm down here now. I might catch that one for the first time this year. I've seen Ron Gingers Adventures in CNC two years in a row.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That is a long drive. I drove from Michigan to Pecos, Texas once to start a 500 mile bicycling tour. That was in the days of fairly inexpensive gasoline.

I sure hope Texas is working out for you. I sure liked the people I met down there when I visited.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks, Wes, it is. It's good to see the family again without flying, wear shorts in April to a baseball game instead of long johns, flannel lined pants, flannel shirt, parka, hat and gloves and still freeze, etc. Also, we're in the active planning stages for the quarters for my handicapped son and my shop out back.

The next time I go to Names, I'll drive the Suburban. It takes two days each way, but what's the use of going if you can't haul home some iron? As a matter of fact, it may be closer to go to Cabin Fever in January, although that could be dicey driving.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I got there about 11am Sat morning. The parking lot was overfull, the exhibition floor was way to crowded, the seminars were standing room only and I could not figure out a way to attend 2 equally interesting seminars at the same time. It sucked (humor). I can't wait till next year.

Lawsom was was

Reply to
aribert

It did seem packed a whole lot tighter this year due to having a smaller venue. Let me be honest, about the time you got there, sardines would have complained ;) .

I didn't have any problems with parking but I'm the guy you see waiting at 8:45 for a 9:00 appointment. I got there early enough on Friday that I was able to scope out the layout and also help exhibitors unload.

The seminar space was limited. The room that the A sessions were given in got a bit warm at times. The B room was a bit bigger and a lot more comfortable.

The answer to the two seminars at one time problem is to keep attending until you collect the full set.

All and all it was a great show. Met a few people from the bbs.homeshopmachinist.net forums and got to chat and put faces to names.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Let me be

for a 9:00

bbs.homeshopmachinist.net

It was pretty crowded on Saturday, yes, and standing room only left at the sessions (and hot) if you didn't arrive early. I drove over from Toronto on Friday night because I wanted to attend (really, both of) the 10:00 am sessions and getting up at 5:00 am wasn't in the cards.

Got to see Rich Carlstedt (micro forging and other cool tips), Dale Grover (EMC) and "Cheap and Free" Rick Chownyk (casting).

If I hadn't been feeling like c**p would have chatted with a lot more people. Maybe next year. Who was the guy with the EDM sinker made using an F100 starter solenoid to control the electrode?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I didn't see the micro forging seminar, I'm still trying to collect the full set ;)

I caught Dale's seminar on Sunday. I enjoyed it. Dale was at Names last year when it was at Toledo. Rick did a repeat of his seminar on Sunday, I caught his for the first time on Saturday. He is definitely a minimalist as in very frugal. The minor matter that he couldn't actually do a pour due to weather really wasn't that big a deal.

I don't remember his name but I signed his list to have the plans for the other sinker e-mailed to me. If he can read my writing, so he can email me, I'll let you know. Too bad they wouldn't let him power up the one with the 120v and light bulbs.

I got out of there at about 9PM after we loaded up the trailers. That was interesting. I was told it took days to put it together but it gets ripped apart and put away pretty quick. The guys that tear this down like Brian Lawsom, have evidently done this many many times.

The 5 hour drive home was uneventful.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

when it was

first time on

I'd appreciate it, thanks!

LOL. Potentially (as it were) lethal, that thing is. If he'd at least used an isolation transformer and put a plexiglas shield in front..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

..... Who was the guy with the EDM sinker made

He was from the/some New England modeling group. I left my e-mail address with him - hope to get the instructions for both home EDM set ups from him

Reply to
aribert