Anyone Tried This?

If so how does it work and do you think it's worth it?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

looks to be something similar to a hard metal carbide drill & some picks....

I have tried similar things in the past with mixed results. What I have used & have had the best luck with (other than a EDM) is a used

4fl carb endmill...eat away the center of the tap & then break the flutes out of the threads.
Reply to
zymrgy

I do the same and wanted to see if this kit was better / faster.

Shalom,

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

This might sound weird, but it works and fast. I can get a 1/4 tap out in

2-3 mintes no fuss, no picking, or almost no picking. This requires a dekel cutter grinder for my example. grap a piece of carbide or the back of a carbide endmill, etc... and grind it down to the tap drill size. The turn the cutter grinder on 45 degrees. Now using the 3 slots in the collet as a guide, grind 3 sides till they meet at a pont. Very simple cutter. No cutting edge. Now at the bridgeport mill, have the quill in one hand and an air hose in the other, running say 1000 rpm. Bring the cutter into contact with the broken tap gently, then give it some semi light pressure for a few seconds, then pull real hard on the quill for a few seconds, raise it up and air blast it. repeat real fast. The cutter melts its way thru. Each peck will get you .010-.020 deep. The cutter won't break, its just a 3 sided nothing. The air blast gets the chips out.
Reply to
vinny

So like a 3 sided pyramid?

Good idea & much less that $100

Reply to
zymrgy

these:

For that price I might as well try one. I have had very good luck with SGS cutters. Thanks.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

these:

Jon:

I'd get one if I were you and keep it unused in your toolbox as a sample on how to hand grind the same type of tip on the shank of a broken off carbide end mill. You might have to regrind it more than once to get through a long broken tap. The end can get "mushed" pretty quick if you push them. Try to start off with the broken tap being as "flat" as possible (chip away any pieces sticking up with a punch).

Reply to
BottleBob

I always use one of these:

Scott

Or from a carbide blank which I have a ton of.

Agree. I'm looking for speed so no doubt what you describe above is possible / probable.

Always a good practice.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer