Article on Training for Swiss Screw Machines

Modern Machine has a nice article on training on Swiss type machines:

The Cumberland, Rhode Island shop specializes in intricate Swiss turning work. It currently has 48 Tsugami Swiss-types it purchased through REM Sales.

Nice payday for Dan Murphy?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Garlicdude wrote in news:JYKdnTx8R_LiaA_WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.southvalleyinternet:

Nah, I'm in the Midwest nowadays. But I did teach Dave how to program his first Tsugami when he was just starting out. We've stayed in touch ever since. That had to be 23 years ago. IIRC, his first machine had twin turrets, independent cross slides, live tooling, and a sub spindle. Bleeding edge technology back then.

Reply to
D Murphy

Dan, I posted this thinking that Kirk Gordan might be interested in the training software. Any comments on the training program?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Garlicdude wrote in news:IqydnTc_JNBfUQ7WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.southvalleyinternet:

The training videos are good. It's not unusual for an experienced guy to go through them and learn a thing or two they didn't know. I don't know what the cost is per pupil so I can't say whether they are a good value or not.

I know of customers out here using them as well.

My thought is that they are a good supplement to OJT, but not a substitute. As the trainees pass each module, you know they all have the same base knowledge and you add to it from there with real world experience and OJT.

Reply to
D Murphy