Steel Mills?

Awl --
Who? Where?
Tryna find a few for a hard-to-find product, sheets of 304 SS half-hard (no substitutions), on the order of .075, for a punch press job.
My buddy thinks he has to find a mill for this, but maybe a really good sheet or roll supplier would have this in stock.
The poundage is considerable, about 40,000 lbs.
I found a couple of bonafide mills on Thomasnet.com, but there has to be more than this. Unfortunately, Thomas does not do the best job of filtering out types of companies, at least not for me.
I figgered steel mills, being the lynchpin of Merkin industry, wouldn't be so elusive.
But a stock supplier would be even better.
Any links, clues, directories?
--
EA

On 3/4/2010 11:32 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

Where ya at? I know of a roll supply house up in ohio..
Roll & Hold
(330) 468-2227
8190 Roll And Hold Pkwy Macedonia, OH 44056

Thanks, will check them out. We are in/around the oh-ficial Center of the Universe: NYC.
Did a little more digging/talking, and Thomasnet.com has a substantial listing of "Stainless steel sheet" suppliers, and someone there has to know whazzup.
Here's the problem: 301 halfhard is readily available. So far no good on 304 HH, with some telling me they've never heard of it, and others saying they *might* have heard of it. But, it's on the spec.
Makes me wonder if what is currently being delivered is 304!!
What would the diff be between the two, anyway? Anything really consequential?
--
EA

Oh, I don't expect to find anything esp. close to NYC -- at this point, ANY supplier would do. I suspect there's a place on/near the east coast, and NJ/PA would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.
This is going to be a punched product. Instead of starting with 304 HH, how bout punching regular 304 and then tempering the punched pieces at a local heat treater? My buddy sez the two are not equivalent and inspectors would be able to tell the difference. He thinks the half-hard has more to do with the rolling process than subsequent heat treating.
--
EA

> --
> EA
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:40:45 -0500, "Existential Angst"

301 is easier to work harden than 304, which is why is it's the most commonly used material for SS springs, and presumably why it's easier to find in the work hardened condition than 304. I think it's somewhat less corrosion resistant than 304.

He's right. I'd check with Ryerson, Yarde, or other large distributor first. You may have to have heavier sheet re-rolled to get 1/2 hard 304.
https://www.yarde.com/catalog/class4.html http://www.ryerson.com/stocklist/StocklistServlet?COM=GetTable&ID 54
If you want to cut out the distributor there are custom rolling mills and converters around. (One of my customers has several rolling mills, but they run more exotic stuff and probably wouldn't be good fit.) A quick google search turned up too much extraneous junk to be helpful -- I'm sure Thomas Register would work better.
Thomas Register found this, for example... http://www.cadastainless.net/coil_specialty.html
--
Ned Simmons

Excellent! 304 halfhard right on the page! But how did you get this?
I just now searched on "Stainless Steel" on Thomas, and then refined the many results with "304", and no CADA!
--
EA

> --
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:48:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"

I don't remember exactly, some combination of jargon like: stainless steel converting rolling slitting
I may have got to Thomasnet by searching that string on google.
--
Ned Simmons

I hope you get an answer from someone who's really familiar with stamping stock, but you know that I covered materials for _American Machinist_ for years and I never heard of half-hard stainless. Half-hard aluminum, yes. Half-hard brass, too. But not stainless.
However, it may be a common term in stamping. Those people live in a world apart from machinists, for the most part. I can imagine what it is (probably given a heat treatment after rolling to partially anneal it -- something like normalizing), but, once again, I never heard the term applied to stainless of any kind.
If you found it in 301, why don't you track down the mill that's making it and ask them? If they use the term for 301, and if you can find the original source for it, they ought to be able to tell you what the story is with 304.
--
Ed Huntress

Why not try the experts? Carpenter Tech is located in Eastern PA.
Carpenter Technology Corporation 101 West Bern Street Reading, PA, U.S.A. 19601 Toll Free (sales & service): 800-654-6543 Toll Free Fax (sales & service): 877-356-2225 Fax: 610-208-3080 (sales & service)
Dan
search for S30409 == 304H ( 304 is the "18-8" stainless S30400
there is a 304HN (non standard)...
HH is High strength; oxidation resistant to 1090C (2000F) most widely used mostly used with cast stainless steels.
Martin
Existential Angst wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:32:49 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Try Penn Stainless Products
All they do is stainless, biggest supplier around here and not too far from NYC.
http://www.pennstainless.com
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

One of the first places we tried, no go. Ned found one, hopefully they have the item at hand.
Thomasnet.com yields about 250 SS sheet companies, and strangely, altho CADA was not among them, altho they do pop up for plain SS. Apparently, Thomas' tag file or whatever is not as complete as what google will find, as Ned alluded to, so altho it is certainly a more concise/concentrated directory, it does not appear to be so hot for finding specific items, which google will find. Inneresting.....
--
EA