Back- feeding a step down transformer

I thought I would share this in case there's anyone who might want to back-feed a step-down transformer off of a 220 rotary converter or other
low voltage source in order to obtain 460/3 even though the topic was covered a while back; IMO the paper is concisely written, and in terms that are likely more easily understandable by most laymen.
http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/Transformer2?TNR=White% 20Papers|Transformer2|generic

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/Transformer2?TNR=White%20Papers |Transformer2|generic MY computer tells me this is an old, out of date, URL and I need to look in an index to find it or another like it. Paul
Paul Drahn wrote:

back-feed a step-down transformer off of a 220 rotary converter or other low voltage source in order to obtain 460/3 even though the topic was covered a while back; IMO the paper is concisely written, and in terms that are likely more easily understandable by most laymen.

No issues with the link here. If you want grab it from my server: http://wpnet.us/Transformer2.pdf

Thanks for that. I've been running a step up on my three phase 440 volt plasma cutter for some time. I'm just about positive the incoming nuetral is tied to ground. This .pdf says not too. Its run this way a long time, no magic smoke so far.
Karl

Karl, they are referring to the X0 terminal which is the center point of the wye winding...
--IF the transformer is being used to step up the voltage and the input windings are of the wye configuration, then there should be nothing at all connected to the terminal X0.
SEE:
http://www.federalpacific.com/university/T-Basics/Charts/section-3-scan-4.gif
On 5/9/2013 2:14 PM, Pete C. wrote:

back-feed a step-down transformer off of a 220 rotary converter or other low voltage source in order to obtain 460/3 even though the topic was covered a while back; IMO the paper is concisely written, and in terms that are likely more easily understandable by most laymen.

Thanks, Pete. Their example is exactly what we have to power our big convection oven. We have only 208/3 coming from the main distribution transformer for our part of the building. Three 200 amp meters. The reverse wired transformer and oven give us 480 volts, and are the only devices on one meter. When originally installed, we used to switch off the transformer with a breaker. But most times when turned on, the meter fuses blew. Electrical contractor who installed it all replaced the fuses a couple of times, then recommended we just leave the whole thing on all the time. We can turn off the oven, but not the transformer.
Now I know why the fuses would blow, more often, than not.
Thanks for the link.
Paul
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:49:13 -0700, Paul Drahn wrote:

back-feed a step-down transformer off of a 220 rotary converter or other low voltage source in order to obtain 460/3 even though the topic was covered a while back; IMO the paper is concisely written, and in terms that are likely more easily understandable by most laymen.

I had the same problem (using Pan). In a newsgroup, URLs should be enclosed in <, >, as below, which is supposed to work even if lines wrap. Try the following link:
<http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/Transformer2?TNR=White%20Papers |Transformer2|generic>
--
jiw

On Thu, 09 May 2013 21:45:55 +0000, James Waldby wrote:

back-feed a step-down transformer off of a 220 rotary converter or other low voltage source in order to obtain 460/3 even though the topic was covered a while back; IMO the paper is concisely written, and in terms that are likely more easily understandable by most laymen.

<http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/Transformer2?TNR=White%20Papers |Transformer2|generic>
However, Pan fails with that link also. So please ignore previous message and this one too.
--
jiw

    It works fine for me. No problem at all. Maybe you were checking it when it was down for backups or something of the sort.
    Good luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail