Transformer glitch shuts down biggest atom smasher

Hi,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_re_eu/eu_big_bang
Anyone know what "transformer"? A mis-translation of heat-pump, perhaps?
"Transformer failures are quite common". Really? For 30 ton transformers??
-- Sue
Palindrome wrote:

Never order a 30-ton transformer from the lowest bidder!
I'll bet your right about the device being a heat pump. Perhaps the 30 tons refers to pump rating: 30 tons is about 100 kw.
| http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_re_eu/eu_big_bang | | Anyone know what "transformer"? A mis-translation of heat-pump, perhaps? | | "Transformer failures are quite common". Really? For 30 ton transformers??
Dave Letterman rejected my Top Ten submission:
10. It's AC so who cares which way it's wired. 9. Ah, that's where my car keys went that day. 8. It's always the squirrel. 7. The control op: "let's see what this machine can really do" 6. I thought the spec order said milliVARS 5. So, that must be where my 15 tons of Chinese melamine went to. 4. Was that a DeLorean that just disappeared on the ring track? 3. Someone saved some money and just used leftover antifreeze. 2. Oh, I though you wanted a higher voltage. 1. What near light speed flying black hole shield?