BP disaster: snapped r8 collet?

Try my Bridgeport page

Ignoramus15648

Ignoramus15648 fired this volley in news:rcidnag3PtbtROrUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Did, Iggy. Sorry to say, they're the same incomplete scans as on bbssytems.com... exactly the same ones, with the same scanner's comments.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Actually -- the one from:

is a full 123 page manual.

is just the front cover -- for the same manual I think, but in color.

and:

Is a very nice high-resolution scan of the step-pulley J-head drawings alone, which I think were normally fold-out drawings in the original manuals.

So -- they are worth while downloading.

Here are the relative sizes:

-rw-r--r-- 1 dnichols family 3.0M Apr 11 2005 1966Bridgeportmanual.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 dnichols family 8.2M Apr 11 2005 bridgeport-manual.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 dnichols family 1009K Apr 11 2005 jhead_huge.pdf ======================================================================

If any -- skip the 1966Bridgeportmanual.pdf -- unless you want a nice colored front cover. :-)

Looks like the same files are on Iggy's site, just different names.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Find a munged up collet. Turn a shallow taper with the opening just larger than the hole left behind in the original bad collet. Put it in the spindle without a tool in it. press down on the drawbar, whilst pushing the collet up. If you cut the taper right it will cinch on the nut/insert, and you can spin it out. Or use a hex/square collet, with a semi-matching piece of material, and clamp it in a vise for more collet anti-rotation.

send me $100, and keep the taper collet around for more cheap r8 collets. Whatever you do don't throw away those cheap collets, you will need to justify the time spent making the repair tool, so you can use it again, and again, and impress yourself.

ca

Reply to
clay

Maybe Lloyd was referring to BOSS manuals.

The manual mill manuals appear to be complete, as you say. I even printed one.

I would like as many people to download and put on their websites, as possible, so that this stuff would not be lost.

Reply to
Ignoramus15648

My reference was to a recent alt.machines.cnc spamer offering FREE Machinery Manuals where the Manuals are NOT Free.

Your statement is incorrect, you may wish to go back and take another look.

Links were given to help others that may want or need the FREE INFORMATION. Feel free to skip over it if it isn't for you.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Didn't see this suggestion.

Get a large left hand drill bit. While holding the top nut from turning, stick drill up quill and go. The drill will catch and turn it right out of there.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not if the drawbar threads already extend past the broken piece.

Otherwise, yep.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

another

None of the manuals listing schematics in their indices actually have them in the scans. That constitutes "incomplete" in my book. I'm not a good enough trouble-shooter to work a complex system without schematics.

I'm more concerned with the BOSS machine books, which are only SHORT excerpts, but only a couple of the purely-mechanical ones are totally complete. The J-head manual is one of them, and I preserved it, even though my old mill has an "M" head.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

First, let me say that I ran all of the ideas presented here to my buddy, and he seems to think the collet/nut is on so tight that most will prove unviable. I myself was in favor of Clay's idea, with epoxy.

The thread of the drawbar is protruding past the r8 nut, so KT's idea above is not viable.

But, the suggestion to just tilt the head got my buddy thinking, and we are going to drill out an aluminum round bar to fit the 7/16 thread of the drawbar, and use this round bar as a guide for an aircraft drill, and just drill out the whole thread/nut portion with a 7/16+ drill.

We will of course lose the draw bar, but he has another one anyway.

Still open to more ideas, or criticisms of this strategy.

The moral to the story is, No more two-piece R8 collets!

Hopefully from all this those that didn't realize R8 collets came in multiple styles now realize the danger of these two-piece disasters-waiting-to-happen. goodgawd....

Appreciate all the good ideas, will let everyone know what happens. Might not get completed for another day or two.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

AGAIN you are wrong! Geeze...........GO BACK AND ACTUALLY LOOK!

First I give you free information now I have to spoon feed it to you as well.

Here is the VERY FIRST link I posted:

Look at the last few pages IN THIS MANUAL.

What do you see? (Hint: Wire Schematics) Drawing Number WD/153D Drawing Number WD/156B

Think the WD might stand for something?

Here is help site more your speed

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Think of the Etrade baby.....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

--Betcha bought that collet from Enco didn't ya? Next time get Hardinge collets; you'll be glad ya did..

Reply to
steamer

Where *did* I put that left-handed 13/16" hole saw?

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

This'll have to do. Several layers of electrical tape to protect the taper and you're good to go, yes?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Proctologically Violated©®" fired this volley in news:4978947e$0$29270$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

I'm still not clear how the drawbar could've extracted the nose of the toolholder, and be jammed to the end of the thread. If it jammed, it would've stopped before the collet completely separated.

Unless... unless the drawbar TWISTED the part in two... but how was it assembled? If it was swaged together, that couldn't happen.

One thing in your favor, though. You could _try_ any one of the several suggestions without wrecking anything, then resort to the drill if you must.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok... back at ya'. GO BACK AND ACTUALLY LOOK at

the R2E4 manual, breaks off right in the middle the BRJ manual, index lists to sec 7.4, manual stops at 6.4 the M105 manual seems to be complete

I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Spoon feed? Have you ever had a baby rip the spoon out of your fist and cram it in your ear, bowl first? Feed yourself.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"P" fired this volley in news:glaitr$eg6$1 @news.motzarella.org:

WD might stand for "What are you Drinking".

There are PIECES of two of the four schematics. Those are C or D sized prints, and there's only 1 A sized sheet for only 2 of the 4.

You're either looking at a different site than you originally posted, or you're smoking hash while you browse.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You did say there were NONE, seems you have changed your position.

How will a wire schematic help the OP with a mechanical issue?

If he needs to relay information to his friend there are some helpful pages in the manual provided for FREE!

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I found no _complete_ schematics, only an A-sized piece of any that were included. That's as useless as having not included it at all.

Because you don't know the difference between a wiring diagram and a schematic, and cannot read a schematic, you were unable to determine what was missing and what was not.

Even the wiring diagrams are incomplete in most instances. Included, but truncated. Apparently, you can't read those, either.

I never said schematics would help with mechanical issues. You drew that conclusion yourself. I suggested only mechanical solutions, none of which required a manual. YOU suggested that no manual should EVER be required for ANY repair on a Bridgeport. That's as stupid as the rest of your mindless drivvel.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh