CAM software for mold making - Part II

Good luck with getting any real meaningful specifics on that. Your asking this of someone who offers to provide a surface grinder rebuilder in the Illinois area because he knows several and than when asked for specifics he can't produce jack "s". He's the same idiot who doesn't have any clues on just how good a Mitsui surface grinder is or on how the Z axis operates on most Mitsuis.
I ignore everything he posts at this point.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Tim wrote:

Tim, Best advice from me would come at 2 levels, less expensive would be Visualmill, Under 4k you can get software that does anything 3 axis without a major investment. Visualmill would probably include a seat of Rhino, actually the best and least expensive 3D Modeler available. You will need a modeling software if you are making molds and encountering deviations on the fly. Contact Joe Anand at Visualmill's Mecsoft.com website.
If you invest just a bit more, Smartcam will better suit you for the long haul and still remain probably under a Mastercam cost. You can call SmartcamCNC's support number to get a current price on several levels of 3 axis capable software that would all serve you well.. fwiw, you are not going to find fixed prices on any cam software these days, give them a call and they will discuss and narrow the field as well as give you some actual numbers to figure from. A huge thing to keep in mind is that with Smartcam you never buy post processors, they support you, have a terrific web support group as well as having a huge library of posts available for download. The support guys at Smartcam will custom build a post if needed. Smartcam also has a macro language that is included in all of their software at no additional cost. The post processors for Smartcam can easily be edited or changed to suit any user needs, nobody else gives you all that in one package. Smartcam doesn't load you down with add ons, it is all in t he one package. Smartcam offers Advanced Milling, Production Milling, Free Form Machining as well as several Lathe and Wire Software packages. If you call ask for Brad Hoitt or Paul Kavanaugh 1-541-344-4563.
http://www.smartcamcnc.com /
If you look at my website everything on the website was made using Smartcam Freeform. I am about to receive a new Haas 4 axis Mold mill and it too will be programmed with Smartcam Freeform Machining.
I also use VX End to End, a full suite but the cost and learning curve may not fit your entry range.
If there is anything I can help you with my email address is real, or you can follow the links on my website to contact me.
hth, Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Thank Michael, as I get closer to actually doing something I'll give you a call.
Thanks to Bill and Joe788 as well.
Tim wrote:

No problem Tim, first let me say that I do not sell any kind of software. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Quickest to learn surfcam. Most popular mastercam. I'd pick between those 2. Both are desperate to sell new seats, make em an offer. Trust me they will take the offer. Or hit ebay for a used version of the 2 a few versions behind. Iv'e seen mastercam 9.1 for 300$. That crap can do anything. in fact I swear it's as good as the new stuff.
The cam market is on the edge, and its the cost of a cdrom to make another copy. Lots of barganing power there.
Email mastercam, offer 1500 for a full blown 3d seat, I'd bet a 5 pack they take it. (5 pack because I will prolly drink one)

I hadn't look on eBay, that's a good idea.