CAM software for mold making

Can good 3 axis CAM software be found for $1000? $2000?

I have a lot of computer experience in general, and have been using the 2D features of AutoCad for a few years. Now I'm considering my first purchase of CAM software for the purpose of mold making. Just thought I would quiz the group for recommendations.

I have been offered the use of a BobCad system, is it any good? Seems I keep hearing SurfCam, but have no idea how much it would cost.

Reply to
Tim

As you have AutoCAD & probably AutoCad models why not look for AutoCAD add-ons?

Ask in the AutoCAD groups ...

Reply to
Cliff

So many people have told me there are much easier to use options than AutoCad, and that for nearly the same money you can go Solid Works. I have no idea if this is true.

Reply to
Tim

Or you could just spring for a real full 5 axes CAD/CAM system. Too much depends on exactly what you want/need to do, how, with what equipment, types of designs, types of CNCs, budgets, training, customers & suppliers/vendors & etc.

Reply to
Cliff

I use DelCAM FeatureCAM at work. Nice thing about this is it is user freindly, wall taper, splitting for molds etc. FeatureCAM imports Soliworks models perfectly. I also have gibbscam, don't like I have used SurfCAM but not for awhile now. I Have used DelCAM Powermill which is very nice for 3d machining surfacing etc., the boundry creating in Powermill is next to none. Powermill has no CAD at all, you need Powershape with it for any CAD. I use to import STL models and create toolpaths from them. With this in mind these are CAM apps they have CAD but limited. When it comes to creating molds then Solidworks is great, also PTC Pro Engineer. Both CAD and CAM apps are so abundant now and a competitve compared to just 10 years ago. great prices as a result too. Just 10 years ago to purchase Powermill set us back $16,000 and that was without any CAD. Hope my 2 cents worth is any help.

Reply to
vega

Thanks! Any idea what idea what the asking price is for Powermill today?

Reply to
Tim

Not sure about Powermill but the company I work for just purchased a seat of FeatureCAM which included surface machining (3 axis) and the lathe add-on for just about $8,000.

Reply to
vega

Really HethCliff, what do you think my budget is?

Reply to
Tim

Don't forget about PS shape & all the other apps you'll need with Delcam to get a full CAD/CAM suite. I'm sure its a good software but why so many different apps? Proly to get ya in the door cheap & then start sellin ya more? Hmmmmmmmmm smart guys at Delcam.

Get 1 & be done

\|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the CIMATRON king? ......not

Reply to
milgil

FeatureCAM includes CAD, its not as powerful as Solidworks but I create 3d solids, surfacing etc..

Reply to
vega

It was nice when DelCAM purchased FeatureCAM because Powermill didn't come with a materail database or a tool library. Now they grabbed them from FeatureCAM and used it in Powermill.

Reply to
vega

Just more programs you don't know or use Jon. SolidWorks with CAMworks worked for me, including its feature recognition. So what specific beginner problems were you having with it or did you just copy, paste and plagiarized someone else again?

As far as a CAM database, every time you create a new tool, change a feed, speed, depth of cut you are updating the database. Or are you just not smart enough to save your work (changes) as you go along?

If you are migrating to a new system and there is no automated path it's just data entry, no need for an experienced machinist.

So Jon, you're saying you don't save your work as you go along, you just keep banging your head against the wall by reinventing the wheel each and every time you program a part?

"How do you eat a elephant?"....."One bite at a time!"

Every time you add or edit a tool all you need do is save it. Every time you create a new material or edit speed, feed, DOC for a material or machine you just need to save it. Pretty soon the task of building your material, tool, machine database is done.

Even if you were starting from scratch you just need to be smart enough to save your work as you go along. Of course there is some logic involved in exactly how to best go about it. Logic being where you all too often fall short.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr