Chip auger

I've had contrasting opinion on the utility of a motorized chip auger. The concept appeals to me. However, today I visited two shops
each of which had a different recommendation (for and against). Any thoughts?
-Martin
m wrote:

Martin:
    In my opinion, this is another one of those (It Depends). If you're doing small parts, or parts that don't make a lot of chips - like if you can go a week without having to clean out the chips - then a chip auger would be a non-essential luxury.     If you're making so many chips that you have to clean out the machine twice a day, then a chip auger will be REAL handy.
    We've got 4 Fadals with no chip augers, and don't miss them. We've got 1 Haas mill and 2 Haas lathes that DO have chip augers and they are absolutely necessary for the lathes, but so-so for the mill.
    We're not a high volume production shop, but mainly a prototype, tooling, and short run shop.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

It depends on the volume of metal you are removing. If you are removing lots of material over a reletively short period of time and doing higher production you'll want the option. If your parts are small, low volume. and have just a small amount of metal removal, the option would be a waste of money.
They can usually be added later if your needs change.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

And it depends on the types of chips you are making too....long stringers of nasty stainless sometimes make you wish you didnt have an auger.....
m wrote:

I'd hire him. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy. Don't know if he's motorized or not.<G>
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@verizonwallet.com (remove wallet to reply)

Variable speed, runs a little slow early Monday mornings.....after first few cups of coffee gets up to speed.
Tom