Chuck jaw clearance problems

I have a Kitagawa 10" chuck, when the jaws are adjusted for stock over 2" they stick out past the OD of the chuck. When the jaws are out
past the chuck, ID tools (drills) will be hit by the jaws when using an adjacent tool position. Does anyone make a one step chuck jaws? If it were half the length of a standard jaw that would work. Or do I just need to buy another set of 2 step jaws and cut off the lowest step?
Seems the biggest trick to a CNC lathe is setting the thing up.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Get some soft jaws and make them any way you want.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Mount your drilling tools adjacent to each other in a group, and as far outward as is possible from your turret centerline, and also mount your turning tools in a separate group opposite them, and only as close to the turret centerline as is needed to obtain your 1st rough pass OD turning diameter.
On Tue, 31 May 2011 19:45:09 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

Would seem like it would work better that way, but I have mine set with ID and OD tools every other one. It's the way I was taught. Seems to be a problem on this machine. I forget what machine I was taught on.
I was spacing my OD tools out a little, my one tool has a offset and needed to be set out 1/2", so I was setting all of them out 1/2 to gain a little more clearance, I could go more, i guess.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy

A lot depends on your turret diameter, if it isnt fairly large in relation to your chuck then you have to space drills apart from each other, every other station etc.

Yep, the further away you can get keep the turret centerline away from the chuck, the better--and moving OD tools outwards certainly helps to accomplish that.

also doing more than one operation with the same tool lowers the number of tools in the turret. design and have a step drill or bore and groove with the same groove tool. That way you can get some space between the I/D and O/D tools. also you can design your own jaws and combine all the options. Last resort is quick change tools with program stop if you have to but it's operator intensive and last resort.