soft jaws VS hard jaws

Most of what I turn is bar stock. Either short peices or bars cut to 48" so they stay in the head stock. I find hard jaws work very well,
other than the problem I stated in my last post. I could use short soft jaws and solve my problem, but.... do most of you use soft jaws in your lathes?
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Randy333 wrote:

Randy, For bar work I use a collet chuck which generally eliminates clearance problems like you've described.
When I run cut pieces I tend to use pie jaws rather than a conventional looking jaw. My cut blank work generally has a thru hole and I find that the conventional jaws will give me a 3 lobed bore no matter how low the chuck pressure is.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Steve, I run a 5C collet for under 1" work, no tool interference problems with this setup. My Hyundai has a 2.5" bar capacity thru the draw tube, so for 2.5" stuff chuck jaws sticking out past the chuck start to be a poblem.
I have never used a set of pie jaws, might be something I will need if I get to thin walled stuff. There is no finesse on tighting the jaws like on a manual lathe.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Randy333 wrote:

Randy, If you don't already know about US Shop Tools for lathe jaws here is a link:
http://www.usshoptools.com /
They offer hard, soft, and pie jaws in lots of sizes.
This guy on ebay makes a nicer soft jaw than US Shop Tools, especially his pie jaws:
http://shop.ebay.com/monsterjaws/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562
I also like his 6" Kurt soft jaws. If you don't see what you need give him a call and he more than likely makes it. Super nice guy, super quality.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Bought from USshoptolls already. I'll check the other guy, thanks.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Randy333 wrote:

Randy
Here is a company that sells jaws located very near you.
http://www.877workhold.com /
I have bought from them several times and the soft jaws that I bought worked fine.
John