Craftsmanship Museum

To All:

A friend sent me this, and seeing as the regulars in here are craftsmen, I thought it would be interesting to many.

Comments:

Reply to
BottleBob

But more fuel for my inferiority complex! wow...

From the site (book):

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and mind is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, mind and heart is an artist." --From a poster on my Uncle's wall by Louis Nizar

"A man who works with his mind, heart and billfold is an Entrepreneur." --Joe Martin, March 5, 2000

Need I comment on jb??

No doubt this site is a web treasure, altho it clearly is serving multiple purposes, one of which is as a showcase for Sherline, and, it seems, as somewhat of a vindication/affirmation of Joe Martin hisself. Still, a treasure....

His book also seems to be a must-read -- inyone who uses the compound adjective "big-assed" is clearly a writer of Melvillian proportions. :)

Hopefully this site, and book, is a sincere labor of love, altho I do detect other flavors -- which is not necessarily bad, could also be good.

Inneresting how he exalts craftsmen *and* CNC --

"It should also be noted that this project would have been an impossible task for me just a few years ago when the marvelous programs created for computers that help me convey my thoughts didn't exist. In a sense, these programmers are the new craftsmen of the 21st century. The Microsoft Word® program that I used was as much as a work of art as the marvelous cathedrals of the 17th century. We just haven't acknowledged it yet. "

In an Orwellian sense, I agree with the above.

"You have to know about CNC whatever your endeavor in business. "

On starting a bidniss:

"

You don't necessarily need a lot of money to get started. You may find it interesting that I believe it is easier to start a business with little money as long as you have a skill that can be sold. You have little to lose and much to gain. The worst thing that can happen is that you will end up where you are right now; working for someone else. Start with more money than brains, and consultants, advertising agencies, attorneys and accountants will soon relieve you of the excess money supply. Lee Trevino, a professional golfer, told a story that best represents getting a business started. When questioned about the pressures of playing a game of golf where a hundred thousand dollars could be riding on one putt, he told the reporter that it was fun to be playing for such high stakes. Then he added, "I'll tell you what pressure is. It's playing for $20 when you only have $10 in your pocket."

Wow.... my opinion, exactly, as I ward off the pressures for/from investors in my Own Folly. Taking investors/partners, even with the money, can be(come) a paralyzing nightmare.

Another distraction on my day off. goodgawd.....

A must-post for rcm, donchathink??

Along these lines is a post on rcm for

which is deserving of a place in the Musuem. Wow.... another inferiority complex.

Curious tho: Sherline, judging from the shot of the factory, dudn't seem to be in want of $$, yet the site doesn't miss too many opportunities to ask for donations, if you like what you see. Is this just a tactic to engender "reader responsibility", or is it really a pursuit of income? Albeit in a "bidniss responsible" way.....

There is a "design community" that celebrates great (mechanical) design in all categories, from clothes to watches to houses to cars, often in the form of "The 100 great designs of (year, time period)", and there are "design museums" in the big cities. Never been to one, tho.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Uncle's wall by Louis Nizar

there are home machinist mags and such that advertise desktop cnc machines. it's good for people with ideas to try to make those ideas work.

Reply to
raamman

PV:

While I often crosspost to RCM, since I consider it a sister group in metalworking, it's filled with hobbyists that are no doubt aware of Sherline and the museum. But if you want to post it over there, go right ahead.

Reply to
BottleBob

I think my favorite is the F-4U-D Corsair with the left side unpaneled. Work of art for sure.

And to think most of these projects were done without bleeding edge CAD/CAM, but rather good old fashioned craftsmanship....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson