Dial Test Indicators

"Now, now Jon. Let's not drag my indicator thread through the mud. LMAO!"

I was just curious if Captain Kirk made any progress since I never answered his 50 page response to why I though AutoCAD was the wrong tool for the job way back when. The Captain went off on a long winded tangent and completely missed what top down design / design intent was all about and I didn't feel like correcting him.

Very similar your pal Gary Lucas using Rhino for years to designing his green house.... wrong tool for the job. Isn't it time for one of his famous why I'm quiting / getting fired posts?

Lucas might still be in business for himself if he had sold his shit through head shops or advertised in high times or whatever. One company who makes weed grinders sure seems to do well.

Oh well... that's about the extent of my chronic (what it seems to be called these days) knowledge.

Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

Why? It's not because you have to stick your head around back, or use a mirror to see what the indicator reads, is it?

For those that do that, they should know that you can usually position the indicator dial horizontally and have the indicator point bent down at 90° to the indicator body so the indicator acts like a vertical one where you can see the dial from the front of the machine for the full

360° of sweeping a round part.
Reply to
BottleBob

"Why? It's not because you have to stick your head around back, or use a mirror to see what the indicator reads, is it?"

No.

Not at all.

It's because I don't like how the Indicol rods can rotate. I would prefer the rods only moved back and forth and did not rotate.

Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

Yeah, I'll admit they're sometimes touchy to get your indicator centered.

Reply to
BottleBob

"Yeah, I'll admit they're sometimes touchy to get your indicator centered."

Fine. I'll admit that I would love to throw mine (I have several) in the trash and be done with them. :>)

BTW, I put up an obnoxious post so you can continue to say that I can be very rude and obnoxious. I didn't want you to have to work with dated Jon "The Jew" Banquer material. ;>)

Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

You can check my work any time you like, BB. But all that extra spacing between the numbers will be sorta wasted if the needle never moves off of zero.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

"jon_banquer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I've found that I've needed a variety of holders over the years.

I've been thinking about making a miniature version of a Zero-It type holder myself. I've also been thinking about a small chain type holder too. The problem is that I usually think about it when I need them. Not when I have the time to make them.

Reply to
D Murphy

BottleBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Not to drag this too far off topic, but... What I really would like is a test indicator with no dial or display on the indicator itself. If I could have anything I want, the indicator would be very compact and would transmit wirelessly to a digital disply. The disply would have several options for display/measurement.

Then I could lose the mirrors and eye loupe.

Reply to
D Murphy

between the numbers

LOL! Good one, KG!

Reply to
BottleBob

"Not to drag this too far off topic, but... What I really would like is a test indicator with no dial or display on the indicator itself. If I could have anything I want, the indicator would be very compact and would transmit wirelessly to a digital disply. The disply would have several options for display/measurement."

"Then I could lose the mirrors and eye loupe."

Ditto this request. Just another sign of how far behind technology machining can be.

Might as well really get off topic now:

Where is the Hurco announcement details of their new WinMax software? If Haas isn't going to step up and since FADAL has already blown it with the 104D P.O.S. control then perhaps Hurco can pave the way with powerful Windows CAM / Conversational software built into the control at no extra charge.

Windows belongs in a control. SWI (Prototrak) knows this.

Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

"jon_banquer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Have you ever seen a chain wrench or a strap wrench? It's kind of the same idea, you have a length of bicycle chain that wraps around the spindle nose, collet chuck, etc.. Attached to the chain is an adjustable, dovetail indicator holder. Basically you have a universal means to attach an indicator to any diameter by strapping the chain around it.

As it turns out, today I was at a place checking out a machine and forgot to bring a collet with me. They didn't have one that fit any of the indicator attachments that I brought, so I used a hose clamp. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

One feature I'm going to add is an interchangeable shaft for chucking. Then I can just turn up a bunch of different diameters for situations where there is a limited number of collets around.

Reply to
D Murphy

Shoulda applied for a patent on it, Bob.

PrecisionMachinisT

PM:

I see the guy on EBAY has a pat. pending. Hmmmm, should I contest his patent? I've had a pic of the tram tool on my homepage for quite some time. LOL

I also have a pic of my Triceratops (bored soft jaw measuring tool). It's also a BB original and I've never seen anything similar anywhere. Just give me 5% of the sales and I'll give you all the rights to it. What about that, eh?

Reply to
BottleBob

"Attached to the chain is an adjustable, dovetail indicator holder. Basically you have a universal means to attach an indicator to any diameter by strapping the chain around it."

Thanks for the explanation.

"One feature I'm going to add is an interchangeable shaft for chucking. Then I can just turn up a bunch of different diameters for situations where there is a limited number of collets around."

Excellent idea!

I'm glad Bottlebob started this thread. Wish alt.machines.cnc had more threads like this as I've certainly learned a lot in this one.

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

I'll second that.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee