Dial Test Indicators

jon_banquer wrote:

Jon:
    Why? It's not because you have to stick your head around back, or use a mirror to see what the indicator reads, is it?
    For those that do that, they should know that you can usually position the indicator dial horizontally and have the indicator point bent down at 90° to the indicator body so the indicator acts like a vertical one where you can see the dial from the front of the machine for the full 360° of sweeping a round part.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
"Why? It's not because you have to stick your head around back, or use a mirror to see what the indicator reads, is it?"
No.
Not at all.
It's because I don't like how the Indicol rods can rotate. I would prefer the rods only moved back and forth and did not rotate.
Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona
Add pictures here
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon:
    Yeah, I'll admit they're sometimes touchy to get your indicator centered.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
"Yeah, I'll admit they're sometimes touchy to get your indicator centered."
Fine. I'll admit that I would love to throw mine (I have several) in the trash and be done with them. :>)
BTW, I put up an obnoxious post so you can continue to say that I can be very rude and obnoxious. I didn't want you to have to work with dated Jon "The Jew" Banquer material. ;>)
Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona
Add pictures here
βœ–
Kirk Gordon wrote:

Kirk:
    Now all that certainly SOUNDS reasonable, BUT unless you dismantle numerous different types and brands of indicators and have the instruments and skill level to be able to determine which indicator is superior to another as regards smoothness, bearing quality, consistent gear engagement, etc. then you don't have direct experimental knowledge of which one might, or might not, be superior.          Again, here is what Long Island Instrument has to say about the indicators in question:
=================================================================================In Brief:
    The best dial test indicators are Swiss made. You have 4 commonly available brand names to choose from: Bestest, Compac, Interapid, Tesatast. All of these are made by the same manufacturer in Switzerland. There's nothing better on the market, in our opinion. ================================================================================    Now Interapid visually seems to be the superior indicator as regards the ruggedness of external construction area, but that doesn't necessarily equate to automatic superiority in the construction of it's internal components. And since all the indicators listed above are made by the same manufacturer the quality might in all probability be similar. Now it "could" be that one or more of the indicators gets the best most accurate parts, and that the others are using "seconds", but we have no way of telling if that is the case here, short of getting inside information from someone within the indicator manufacturer itself.

    You could use the same magnifying glass on a Compac or Bestest and STILL retain your 30% width advantage in the case of the Bestest and 100% advantage of the width spacing on the Compac. LOL

    And about your original comment about checking someone else's work... If I were taking over a job that someone else set-up with an Interapid .0001 indicator and it needed to be as accurate as possible, *I'd* recheck it with my Compac. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:

<smile>
You can check my work any time you like, BB. But all that extra spacing between the numbers will be sorta wasted if the needle never moves off of zero.
KG
Add pictures here
βœ–
Kirk Gordon wrote:

LOL! Good one, KG!
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–

Not to drag this too far off topic, but... What I really would like is a test indicator with no dial or display on the indicator itself. If I could have anything I want, the indicator would be very compact and would transmit wirelessly to a digital disply. The disply would have several options for display/measurement.
Then I could lose the mirrors and eye loupe.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
βœ–
"Not to drag this too far off topic, but... What I really would like is a test indicator with no dial or display on the indicator itself. If I could have anything I want, the indicator would be very compact and would transmit wirelessly to a digital disply. The disply would have several options for display/measurement."
"Then I could lose the mirrors and eye loupe."
Ditto this request. Just another sign of how far behind technology machining can be.
Might as well really get off topic now:
Where is the Hurco announcement details of their new WinMax software? If Haas isn't going to step up and since FADAL has already blown it with the 104D P.O.S. control then perhaps Hurco can pave the way with powerful Windows CAM / Conversational software built into the control at no extra charge.
Windows belongs in a control. SWI (Prototrak) knows this.
Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona
Add pictures here
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:

I have a Browne & Sharpe BestTest 7034-5.
Nice half-thou marks, 0-10-0 on the dial that goes around the same way regardless of which way the needle is pushed, the dial diameter is small enough to fit into tight spots, the long needle is a benefit more than it's a hindrance, and when the spindle button was inadvertantly pushed one day it withstood being launched into the side of the machine enclosure. Replacement needles cost coworkers around $45.00 with shipping, and they're easy to replace.
Later,
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:

About 90% of the time I use a Blake Co-Ax because everyting is fixtured with a locator hole. Interapid or BestTest if I need them. Reason? well you CAN fuck them up, but you have to be really trying!
Cheers! Dave G. http://atensundials.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
"About 90% of the time I use a Blake Co-Ax because everyting is fixtured with a locator hole."
What do you use for a stop for your Blake Co-Ax? Do you ever hold it by hand? Does holding on to the Blake Co-Ax by hand decrease accuracy?
Jon "The Jew" Banquer Phoenix, Arizona
Add pictures here
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon:
    Personally, I generally use a magnetic base off the table as a stop for the Co-Ax.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–

Shoulda applied for a patent on it, Bob.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemv27057011
--
SVL

Add pictures here
βœ–
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

PM:
    I see the guy on EBAY has a pat. pending. Hmmmm, should I contest his patent? I've had a pic of the tram tool on my homepage for quite some time. LOL
    I also have a pic of my Triceratops (bored soft jaw measuring tool). It's also a BB original and I've never seen anything similar anywhere. Just give me 5% of the sales and I'll give you all the rights to it. What about that, eh?