ER12 Collet System???

According to a Google search I did, there is such a product as an ER12 collet... Same range as ER11...

Anyone know the history / details? Up until 5 minutes ago, I had never heard of them.

See

for basics...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I believe Schaublin was first with their ESX-12. The ER-11's showed up on the market a few years later.

I have both. The 12's are slightly larger in diameter, and a little longer. The taper angles are the same, and IIRC, the 12's can go up to

7mm. You can get away with using a 12 in an 11 sleeve, but the collet will not seat as deeply, and you'll find that the cap only screws on about 3 threads or so, if you're trying to hold something at the high end of the collet's range.=20

Likewise, an 11 collet in a 12 sleeve can bottom out, if you're trying to hold something at the low end of the collet's range (actually, the cap bottom's out). If you get ESX or ER-12's, make sure you get a 12 cap.=20

You can cram a 12 into an 11 cap, but it's not a whole lot of fun to get them out. I've had a few guy's try it. "What's wrong with this cap? Why can't I get the collet out?" Ummmm......Can you read?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:VmIWj.475$Pr1.10 @trndny03:

I don't know the history but way back all of the collets called "ER" were known as Schaublin ESX collets.

All through the 80's ESX-12's were widely available. Our machines came standard with ESX-12 drill chucks and live attachments. Then around 1990 it seemed like someone pulled the plug on the and ER11's took their place. IIRC, all you need to do is change the nut and you can use an 11 in a 12 holder and vice-versa.

Here's the dimensions -

Here's a pdf with lots more collet info -

Reply to
D Murphy