Accurate history vs. Symbol of hate ??

Announced to my wife that I was going to be applying decals to my Stuka. She wondered whether or not that included the swastika. I said it did. She thinks I should leave it off. I countered that to accurately represent the aircraft (in the particular scheme I chose) I should put it on--not to offend anyone, but just for historical purposes. She still doesn't like it. The whole discussion gave me pause to think about the situation, and now I'd like your opinions? Should I apply the swastika decal or not and why?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Dingo

how big a deal is it? tell her one historian thinks censoring history will trivialize it.

Reply to
someone

Depends on whether you like being on the outs with the Mrs. I've never had this problem as the ex- had no hangups about it. She's always one for 'confronting' reality anyway (or turning over rocks as I called it ;)).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

You've got an issue with your wife and you want us to tell her off for you? Good grief. Or maybe what you're really asking is whether applying that decal or two is worth sleeping on the couch, or otherwise doing penance to God knows what extent. Of course, there's always divorce.

Free speech in society at large is one thing, and in that context, people who have a problem with models sporting swastikas or hammers-'n'-sickles or nekkid nose art or Sponge Bob images ought not look at said stuff and otherwise keep their complaining pie holes slammed shut until pie shows up. When dealing with family members, and especially spouses, the same rules are sometimes not practical, nor even wise.

BTW, does your wife do the dusting? And if so, do you intend to keep this model somewhere so secure that a cleaning accident won't destroy it? It occurs to me that, all-in-all, you might be happier building RAF subjects.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

You don't need an opinion from this group. You need to get to the root of why your wife doesn't want a symbol of the Nazi party in your house. Saying she doesn't like it really does not address WHY she doesn't like it. Once you have that answer, you'll be able to address putting the decals in place.

You obviously don't have a problem with this, you want to include the historical markings. The Smithsonian and all other museums in the US have WWII German items, all correctly marked, but your wife feels differently. Does this mean she would rather see all museum artifacts modified or would she find those acceptable. She is drawing the line somewhere, you need to discover where that is and why its being drawn.

Scott snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com

Reply to
CaptCBoard

Thanks to all for their valuable inputs...the swastikas are going on. And I did get to the bottom of it--she didn't have a big problem at all, she was just making an alternate suggestion. I think I was the one who misunderstood her. Thanks again

Reply to
Dingo

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dingo bitched and moaned:

Does the simbol even hold the same meaning these days?

1) Revell of _GERMANY_ 2) Banned in some EU countries
Reply to
Martin

I'd check my sources before saying that, if I were you... Cuz if it was banned, a bunch of books, movies and telly series would be in deep, deep trouble...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Make it with Hungarian markings.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Isn't another "Let's split the group" thread overdue now?

Reply to
Jeff C

Yes. Build it like it was, if you're building to be accurate.

Anything else is either lying, or toymaking.

Reply to
Rufus

In the end, no one else can answer that for you. Only you can decide whether it's important enough to you to "stand your ground" and take the heat of making it historically accurate or to leave the swastika's off.

In the end, it's a hobby and not something significant enough to get divorced (or even cause domestic "unrest) over. Perhaps, in order to keep peace in the house, I might suggest switching to Japanese or Italian aircraft if you have to build Axis stuff (or Croatian or Romanian, etc) as someone else has suggested. Or go totally 180 degrees out and build Brit Spitfires and/or US "Spam" cans.

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

in article HH26d.61715$wV.737@attbi_s54, Rufus at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote on 28/9/04 1:59:

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of attending a local model show and compitition at The Tank Museum at Bovington. One of the comp classes I entered a model in was Fantasy with a B47 done in Austrailian markings. To me it was the only class i could justafiably enter it in but the juges thought otherwise and moved it to the aircraft section. We had a discusion about it and cme to a sensable compromise, they understood my position and they ( the judges) would field off any complaints about it being in the wrong class and the judges word is final.

The winner of the class was a stunning Hind finished in Russian markings in Afgahanistan the B47 got silver.

I like building toys ;) ( how do I get a nose?)

- Rory Manton

- Oh gods , why me?

Reply to
Rory Manton

Use the Swastika, just don't salute it when the missis is around ;-)

Zardos

Reply to
Zardos

Better yet. The murderous thugs lost the war big time.

There are tons of markings for WWII German aircraft operated by the US, UK, France, etc.

Before you do a USSR marked German aircraft, though, you may want to read up a bit on that bunch of murderous thugs.

Any way you do it share what you are doing with the wife. Not very many spouses appreciate modeling. A few of us are very, very fortunate.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

well it's easier to find a new wife then replace all those models,just a bit more expensive!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308
Reply to
Digital Cowboy

8^) That nose is above the "6" and you can search for "emoticons" to see tons more. Congrats on the B-47. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper