Should it have a swatika?

I am pondering making a Special Hobby Junkers W 34 Hau. The decals include a black diamond on the tail that is outlined in white. Should this be a swastika? Have a look at

David

Reply to
dnews

WoW, realy got Me stumped on that one!!!!!!

Reply to
Gondor

Yes. Some model companies leave it off out of sensitivity and respect for what it represents to those who suffered under Nazi rule. Also, there are nations (Germany I believe is one) where it is illegal to display the swastika.

Reply to
Koda

Some kits I've seen the swastika decal is presented in several pieces. This leaves the modeller to assemble the marking without the model company contravening local law by printing it. Are there any funny looking pieces on the sheet that look like they could make up the "crooked cross"?

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Thanks but actually I knew that. We stock aftermarket sheets of decals for Sawstikas. the question was 'should it have one?' in the sense that the aircraft modelled is a pre-war one and a private one at that so I don't know.

Reply to
dnews

Yes, I have done a google image search and can't find a reference. There are lots of Canadian versions :-)

Reply to
dnews

Yes, the recent MPM Blenheims did that for Finnish markings. Still doesn't tell me even if it should have one though - grin.

Reply to
dnews

If the instructions show the diamond thingy, then a swastika should be used. The diamond is how MPM gets around the EU rules forbidding display of the swastika.

Reply to
Jessie C

snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hi,

Go to:

There are W34's with a swas on the tail.

Some VERY FINE PICS are found at:

flugzeuge/junkers/ju34.htm

HTH,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

For the markings shown, I'd say yes. The codes and paint job certainly indicate a Luftwaffe aircraft, probably from the early war period and all military aircraft would have had a swastika on the tail.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Thanks to every one that contributed. I think that i can safely say that the one I want to build 'had' a swastika - see i can spell it - grin.

David

Reply to
dnews

Yep, it should have one! The "Diamond" on the box art is just to represent a Swastika, the open display of which is banned in some EU countries.

MPM also put in a swastika decal, usually sliced diagonally, on the kit decal sheet, by doing so, they do not contravene the ban, as it's not a "swastika" until placed on the model.

As pointed out above, they even have to do this with Finnish kits, even though the Swastika is blue and "opposite" to the German version!

That's PC gone mad. I know there are sensitivities, but the Czechs were annexed and occupied by Nazi Germany, but they don't have a problem with swastikas!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes