Machining Tips From John at Stellar Machine Inc.

To All:
    Here are some machining tips culled from the following site:
http://members.aol.com/away2422/2index.html
    I tried to pick a few that I haven't seen in amc before.
=====================================================================1. When you need to cut a precise angle on a part, set it up in the machine with a protractor and then write a program to follow the angle with an indicator, this way you can bump the part around while the your machine is indicating.
2. Progressive fixturing? whats that? Thats the ability to make finished parts, no matter how many setups are involved, instead of doing the first operation on a 1000 parts than the 2nd, 3rd, ect....you figure out how to fixture or hold down parts in sequence so that a finished part is produced at the end of a cycle, not only does this save handling time, it also allows you to detect machining problems before they become a major headache, it take a lot of extra figuring but pays off in the long run in a big way!
3. Vertical machining centers work great for lots of jobs, but the one thing that always gets in the way is the cutouts that are sometimes left behind after a machining operation, sometimes you can bolt thru to hold them down, other times you can just mill the cutout away, but the easiest way around the problem is to just mill clearance holes, or pockets thru the fixture and leave the cutouts drop thru. ======================================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

REAL machining tips! Lots of them!!! Somebody here could maybe learn a thing or two about how to set up a useful machining tips page....
Jon (the other one)
Add pictures here
βœ–

ROTFLMFAO
Much like you he must use a CADCAM system that's a piece of crap and have no clues what a decent systems offers:
http://members.aol.com/away2422/2index.html
"dec. 8th mirror image works great for producing right and left hand parts, but watch out when machining the mirrored part, if you've programmed the first part using G41 and climb milling, make sure you add at least an extra .01 to the rough cutter, because on the mirrored part you'll be conventional milling where the cutter tends to dig into the finished surface."
In a decent CADCAM system this isn't a problem. Mastercam allows you reverse the toolpath when mirroring a toolpath. I don’t remember if Gibbscam can do this. Perhaps Bottlebob would like to answer because I have no interest in checking to see if Gibbscam can do this until Bill Gibbs is forcibly retired by Cimatron.
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

    Gibbs can reverse any toolpath.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–

Mastercam can change the parameters of any toolpath with its Edit Common Parameters function and it can do it for say 100 toolpaths in one shot. How do you change the parameters of 100 toolpaths in one shot in Gibbscam?
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon:
    We're a few years behind on Gibbs maintenance (no need to fork over $7,500 for 5 seats every year if it's not really needed), so we don't have the latest & greatest features. But to the best of my knowledge Gibbs has come out with an operations manager in spreadsheet form which combined with their HSM speed/feed add-in, supposedly can alter the speeds & feeds for multiple operations. If you have to make tool offset changes you could comp. it in the control. I don't know how many other parameters can be changed in multiple operations, you'd have to call Gibbs to find out.     I've worked on some jobs with over 120 operations, but our normal number of ops is usually significantly less than 100.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
"But to the best of my knowledge Gibbs has come out with an operations manager in spreadsheet form..."
It's should be called an Operations Viewer because most of the fields are not editable. Mastercam blows Gibbscam out of the water in this area with its Edit Common Parameters.
"I don't know how many other parameters can be changed in multiple operations, you'd have to call Gibbs to find out."
No reason to call Gibbs and be lied to. I already know... very few of the fields are editable. To make this work would require a massive amount of work that Bill Gibbs has so far refused to do because he's cheap and because he won't hire more programmers that are qualified. When he has had programmers that are qualified they've quit.
βœ–

This guy sounds like a die maker. Prog/transfer/tandem dies progressively fixture a part until the finished part pops out the other end, once per cycle.
Slugs and other waste frequently fall out the bottom of dies (sometimes through the press bolster) so they don't get tangled in the die, or require manual removal..
Anyway, good suggestions for sure.
Regards,
Robin
Add pictures here
βœ–
"2. Progressive fixturing? whats that?"
It's a new buzzword. It's a concept that's been around forever. I like this buzzword but this concept is nothing radical or new unless you're Jon Anderson or some kid from Canada who got laid off from his touted apprenticeship program that turned out to be a bunch of crap that only Ed Huntress bought into.
βœ–
I like how JB gets his knickers in a knot over a real machining tips page and can do nothing but slam other people.
Anti-seize indeed.... lol
Jon (the other one)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I like how Anderson is so limited that this page of "machining tips" is so impressive to him.
"REAL machining tips! Lots of them!!!
Please... get a real job, Anderson.
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

This from a guy who after months of teasing and at least a hundred repetitive posts touting his binders full of tips, posts a grand total of 2 "machining tips". One of which involves anti-seize. LOL.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

Jerking around a bunch of idiots is a bad thing because? ;>)
ROTFLMFAO
Tell us more about the CADCAM you use, Anderson. I need some more laughs.
Jon Banqeur San Diego, CA http://jonbanquer.blogspot.com /
Add pictures here
βœ–

Checked the mirror lately??
How about adding some of "your" own tips?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Have you? When you do you will see that you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.
βœ–

ha ha ha ha ha
sigh.......................................... when do get out of high school?
Add pictures here
βœ–
> ha ha ha ha ha
Now I know you really are looking in the mirror at yourself.
βœ–
Anderson this post of yours is typical of how you make a fool out of yourself time and time again.
"My CAD/CAM does what I need it to do."
Because you don't do much, Anderson.
"That very concept right there is beyond your comprehension."
I comprehend you're an idiot. It’s crystal clear based on what you post.
"don't give a rats ass what you think of it either."
LOL. Sure you do, Anderson.

Shows how easy it is to jerk idiots like you around for months on end and it’s so easy to do. ;>)

Here's a “Life Tip” for you Stevie... get a real job where you might learn what the tools needed in a real CADCAM system are. Perhaps then you might see what a joke / garbage the system you use is. For the record the joke you use is BobCRAP.

It’s a good part of what I get paid for. Your inexperience at CNC machining and CADCAM badly shows.
βœ–
jon_banquer wrote:

Been self employed longer than I've ever worked for anyone else. If you want to call that nothing, go ahead and delude yourself. Not like that would be anything new to you.

You comprehend nothing but your own delusions of grandeur. But given who else around here you call idiots, I take it as a compliment. Puts me in good company.

And shows how starved you are for attention. You could have approached what you wish to convey in a reasonable fashion, but you provoke and belittle. Especially when you are safe and protected behind your monitor.

That's the CAM side, yes. And it does what I need. Nothing wrong with that except in your own mind. There's a place for many levels in manufacturing and every but you knows it. I have my nitch and my customers are very happy to have me taking care of their needs.
As for getting a 'real job' I have one. I come and go as I please. I look outside my shop and see deer, quail, hawks, the occasional fox, and even a 300lb brown bear once. I can walk 40' down to the irrigation ditch and fish for trout. I like where I'm at.
My fiance wants me to come retire in Australia, but I'm sticking around until my kids are out of school. Then I'll happily semi-retire to a small town in NSW. Won't even need to work anymore. I'll sweet talk the elderly next door neighbor out of those two Norton's in her back yard, and set about restoring them. Yes, life is good, and getting better.
There are many measures of success in life. You will get along a lot better with other people if you would but acknowledge that fact. But of course, you won't. In point of fact, you -can't-.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

Who's going to hire you with you proven lack of CNC skills and your inability to understand / learn what's needed in a CADCAM program.

I comprehend you're an CNC and CADCAM idiot who's clueless.

Sure does.

Shows how much you feel the need to read and respond to almost every post I write. ;>)

You're too stupid to know the difference.

Oh, I know it. I guess someone has got to struggle and be clueless and that would be you. Ignorant and clueless aren't qualities that should be admired.

You will still be ignorant and clueless when it comes to CNC machining and CADCAM.

I'm not interested in your approval. It's not important to me in any way.
βœ–