More Ideas for you Kirk

Kirk,

I haven't checked in here much lately, but I read your thread and request.

A few thoughts from me on the subject...

I think your plan looks pretty good, but....during those last 12 months of mopping floors, cleaning crappers and digging chips out of dark, long- neglected places in machine tools and fixing said machines, have them also doing some bookwork. Blueprint reading. Shop Math. Measuring instruments and fundamentals. GD&T Dimensioning Pneumatic fundamentals Hydraulic fundamentals Make them take the Sandvik home study course on machining (Very valuable information in that, and they get a certificate when completed, and it's at NO COST unless you don't complete the course.) Basic CNC programming. Create a program on basic CNC/machine operation. (How the machine actually works. - Logic and what not.)

They will be much more prepared for making that decision as to what is to follow the 18 month gig. As a bonus, everything I've listed above will be of huge benefit no matter which of the 3 splits they take.

Another thing to remember...when teaching... Never, EVER, give the answer... Always make them deduce the answer of their own. You do this by asking a series of leading questions that steer them to the correct answer, but you never actually give it until they come up with it on their own..

Reply to
Anthony

These are must! for all good machinists. The above mentioned corpses are exactly what I did & what TD&I / AMBA required in the 70's for moldmakers. That was night school - after work. Then party time! afterword. It was rough gettin up the next day for work.

Isn't Sandvik with Cormat? Nice face mills & tooling ect. Made around here somewhere in chitown burbs Schaumburg?

Our first community college CNC well NC (paper punched tape) was a Bridgeport point to point (non contouring) machine. nice for drilling holes JB? Huge ass console bigger than the machine.

Yes manual G-code- trig it out - type it in - & run it in the air or with a felt tip pen in the spindle.

You may even get another "right" answer?

All very good ideas Tony.

Reply to
cncmillgil

Thanks, Anthony! Great thoughts!

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Ditto's on that one. I repair machines rather than program or operate them. I took that course to be more knowledgeable of the machining side of what is going on.

Zero cost to you, they end up with a decent reference book out of the deal.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Kirk Gordon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gordon-eng2.com:

I'd probably go 2 hrs bookwork, 6 hrs grunt work for an 8 hour shift at work. Doesn't take up too much of your time, or the students time while at work, but gives you a structured time to answer questions, give some tests and direct instruction.

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony wrote in news:Xns9C53E342D5158acziparle3sp835@208.90.168.18:

Tuition reimbursement at a local tech or community college is also a great way to attract good trainees. Require that reimbursed courses be in work related degree programs like mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering or business management. (Imagine if the next generation of upper management actually had a clue what goes on out in the shop?)

A or B - 100% on class, labs, and books.

C - 75%

D - 50%

Fail and you get nothing.

Make it clear that those willing to invest in themselves on their own time have the brightest futures.

I also have training classes in Powerpoint for Tsugami Swiss machines. Maybe Citizen or whoever you use could give you theirs to use along with pdf files of the machine manuals that you can give out or use sections of for your own training manual.

You can even change up the Powerpoints to suit your business specifically rather than the general overview these sort of things usually are. You can use actual parts running in the shop as program examples and use real life issues to illustrate how mistakes are made and problems are solved.

I would also include training on basic business economics. While it might be self evident to you, most young rookies have no clue what the real costs are in a business and how they can directly affect the profitability of the company and how that would benefit them.

Reply to
D Murphy

My former company it was C or better 100%, less than a C you got 0%

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

D Murphy wrote in news:MJ9bm.44535$nL7.4302 @newsfe18.iad:

Something I discussed with my boss just the other day.... Let them know what it costs for that machine (or line in our case) to sit there for 1 minute. Not lost production.....that's an additive...just what is actually going out of pocket every minute nothing is earning any money. In our case, it's quite a bit of cash. A basic understanding of where that cost comes from would also help things along considerably.

Reply to
Anthony

No more suggestions as Kirk is totally overwhelmed.... he can't figure out whether to get Kohler or American Standard toilets for his students to clean.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer