Cam Complaint

Before we go too far with assumptions... could you post a link to a pic of the situation? Most times, as with all cam systems it's driver error. Reason being, on a clean install, most ops will error to leaving stock. That said, many will argue for the so called "high price" of the package , it should know exactly what to do - for you. I would argue that for the "high price" I want options of what to do. It may be leaving the spot due to the limits of the material removal settings (stepover, doc, toolpath choice, etc...).

Depending on the operation type you have many choices. Operation type, and pic should do the trick here.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Seems all systems gouge. It's how they handle the gouge that counts. Iv'e gotten some in NX, and its set to retract. Leaves stock.

Now why cant you set it to connect the dots? Can any cam system do that?

It allows you to fill in holes and extend surfs, how hard would it be to do that on a gouge? just fill in the damn thing? Trim the stuff on either side of the gouge with each other. You would want it as an option because it might not be accurate, I get that... it just seems it's an essential thing to have in any cam system since they all gouge?

I did notice you can make a point file where it gouged. So I'm guessing you can create a second toolpath to cut your point file or something to remove the stock heavy gouges?

But damn, a simple trim gouges button would be sweet.

Reply to
vinny

Calculator?

Reply to
vinny

I can't remember the last time Mastercam gouged surfaces on me. It was with either version 7 or 8. Version 14 is now current.

I'd expect better from NX. I vote for configuration or operator error.

Reply to
Black Dragon

BD, Same with Smartcam, only a gap in a surface would ever cause a gouge. If his model was indeed solid, and was imported correctly, without any flipped normals, there should never be gaps nor gouges. Providing his import did not misfire, I second config or OE. Michael

Reply to
Michael

Was no import, native stuff. And it doesn't gouge, it retracts away from the gouge. But thats just the system avoiding a gouge. Leaves like a spot right in the middle of a face where there's no cut. I was just hoping there was a way to hide it. Maybe using a high intol and a low outol, hell I don't know.

Reply to
vinny

Vinny, Where is the tit located? In an open area, in an intersection? One other thing, could there be some microscopic/nearly invisible trimmed surface remnant present and that be what is causing the tool to move away from the selected surfaces? In the new Smartcam you can pick a small tool and run REST detection, that should go back and get any small remaining stock not previously machined. Does NX not have REST machining? Michael

Reply to
Michael

te:

I nominate Cliff for the Kernel, all in favor please say I. ............

Motion carried..........

Next order of business:

The Kernel's responsiblities:

Keep JB in check: YES/NO

cncmillgil

rote:

oPPS THAT ONE GOT AWAY

Reply to
cncmillgil

Kernel Wilhelm Klink

-- Tom

brewertr

e:

yes but by reversing the normals- Always-works towards the positive? Always,Always,Always......... (disgruntle Persian tow truck driver from MAD tv) But then again who in their right mind care's about normals? I know I don't. Nether does IT13. I'm a happy camper.

-- ~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~

Some people make things happen.... Some watch things happen... While others wonder what had happened

~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~

Reply to
cncmillgil

Thanks for jogging my memory.

5.5 was also the first version of Mastercam to run on Microsoft Windows. We ran it on NT 3.51. What a treat that was. NOT!
Reply to
Black Dragon

5.5 with ToolMaker.
Reply to
John R. Carroll

The first windows release was V5 and it had a rather short half life, just like 4.0 was succeeded almost immediately by 4.11. The Cimlinc C-Hook ($5K through a seperate reseller channel) was introduced for V4.11 IIRC and was about the only way that version of MC was usable for multi surface machining.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

open area on a simple face.

One

Hell if I know. It's a solid model, you'd think the picture it sent to the monitor was the same one it cut?

In the new Smartcam you can pick a

Yah, it's got a bunch of em...no joke. It's got all kinds of restmilling gimmics going on. The simplist of em is one where you type in a reference tool, and it restmills whatever that cutter didn't get. I would assume that would not work since it's not an area where it didn't fit?

It has something called in process workpiece. It makes a model from what you cut. Then you can actually use that part for your stock block. And it will make a model with that extra bump of stock on it. So....I'm guessing if I knew what I was doing that would be the way to deal with it. A bit time consuming though.

There's a command called connection distance or something like that. Real badass. You can connect cuts seperated by open areas by increasing the connection distance. There's should be something like that for gouges.

Reply to
vinny

I machined several prototype molds for Kodak Advantix camera bodies using version 4.11. I didn't have the luxury of the add-ons you mention other ships in this area did, either.

I had gone from using Acu-Carv which was doing multi surface machining long before the people at CNC Software even knew what it was to using that crap. Yes, it was painful, but like I just posted in a reply to Michael, I was able to get the job done none-the-less.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Vinny, that's been available in Mastercam for a loooooong time. Under the Gap Settings.

Reply to
Joe788

I cut one set of mold cavities with 4.11 and went out and bought a seat of CimLinc's Unix product and one of Duct5. I found Cim Linc by looking through the Tool Maker C-Hook with a hex editor, tracked them down in Detroit and got hooked up. Bruce Closs was selling DUCT at the time and you would know that product today as PowerMill and PowerShape.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Holy shit a Quicksilver/MasterCAM historian! Me too Ver2.8 Quicksilver circa early 1986 - no mouse inter phase to the menu. Had to press the number. Whadya think the sales brochoure would go for on E-bay? Twas a gloomy day that cold spring day back in 87. The sales schmow shows up, cold call, secretary let's'em in! I come back in my office, find him at my workstation swith'in over to new version. WTF? Yer now MasterCAM!. Why? I said?????I like the guys at Quicksilver. (I did not care much fer him thou) Wonder what ever became of ol Forest Gump.

And Thats the way it was.

Reply to
cncmillgil

One can make any system gouge. Just start playing with the settings or wrong toggle/tolerance - whatever. If you don't know your system/ config ect. why it does what it does when things are changed, expect undesirealble results. Those would also be considered idiosyncrasies?

I'll second that motion! Motion carryied........ PEBKAC it is.

Captain BD...... good job, carry on.

So thats, Kernel Cliff : Mr Wizzard (always has an answer):-) Major Mikey: SmartCam king (can cnc any shape known to man) ;-) Lieutenant Vinny: NX CNC king. (still progamming that 128cav custom mold base):-( Captain BD: MasterCam king. (out to lunch(liquid) whilst MC X regens toolpaths) JB: mess hall drilling holes of course.

Reply to
cncmillgil