Need help restoring parameters to a Fanuc 0TC

Comm port died on our SL25. Followed cables to the memory board, ordered a new one. Populated it with the old proms and loaded 900-917 parameters. Thing will not
let me change 906 and after a power cycle I can't change anything. The only way I can gain control of entering parameters is to do the poweron reset/delete.
I *thought* all I needed to do was change the 900 parameters, cycle power, change parameters for comm settings and punch back my varibles.
Yes PWE is 1, MDI.
Ideas? The fanuc tech I called was no help, 'That should have worked' was the response.
Thanks,
Clutch
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:48:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Just went through this for a customer down the street. They have a 0TT control, but the parameters are the same, IIRC.
Go to setting 2 and turn PWE on. Go to setting 1 and set ISO to on (1) You need to turn on the Keypad, para 38 b3 =1, and the RS232 port, para 901 b6=1, before it will let you do anything.
Make sure the baudrate is set correctly (para 552) Get your computer ready, press and hold EOB, and then press INPUT (LSK should flash), and then send your parameter file (if you have the 900's in that file, it will load them)
Matt

I was able to get PC-DNC to serve the parameter file to the control with your advise.
One issue I ran into is at times you MUST have the control in estop to set PWE.
After I was done I got a mori specific error ex451 that I didn't have time to look up before leaving for the night.
Somewhere I learned that if you don't hold down EOB when punching out parameters the control will not emit the 900 variables. We have parameters from three machines on disk that missed those. I backed up two of those machines last night after learning that.
Thanks for the tips,
Wes
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Further followup. Guy on days got it going. Evidently I needed to set some other values via the diagnostic screen. First time I've heard of that. I wonder if I can punch those out for the future.
Wes
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:02:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

The Tornos is similar. There are quite a few diagnostics, mostly machine options/functions, that have to be set before the machine will run properly. Again, these are OEM options, not Fanuc.
Matt
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:47:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

I don't know anything about a Mori, but I have seen other machines that have to have the e-stop depressed to turn on PWE. It's an OEM specified function, not Fanuc. Probably a safety to keep you from running the machine with PWE turned on (the alarm can be cleared without turning PWE off).
And yes, unless you hold EOB before pressing input/start, you cannot upload/download the option parameters (900's). You don't have to physically hold the EOB key while it's sending/receiving, you just have to hold it in before pressing input/start, then release them both.
Matt

And if there is no separate "control off" button then there also arises a need to additionally jumper one contact set at the estop button--(or one can instead unplug all I/O connectors from the motherboard excepting for the mdi /crt cable ).

Wes,
Yes, the diagnostics (PC Parameters) on a Fanuc 0 can be saved the same way that the parameters can be saved. They will have 10000 added to the numbers to differentiate them from normal parameters (Diagnostic 300 will punch out as 10300 etc.) These can be uploaded like the regular parameters if the control is a 0B, 0C, or 0D (I never could get a 0A to take them except by hand). By the way, if the control is a 0D, there are some Fanuc induced tricks that need to be executed before even the 900's can be loaded properly.
Warren

Hi Warren,
I figured that out the night before last. I haven't tried to read in a similar machines Pc Parameters yet since it is running and production told me stay away, even though it has some issues with jogging axis with door open or indexing turret, they are moving product through it.
Thank you though for taking the time to tell me this. If I hadn't had a few spare moments to try it, I wouldn't have known. I think I am going to launch a separate thread on backing up fanuc controls and hope some one will offer up tips.
Wes