OT US energy independece

Well it seems in the last 36 years the US government has made as much progress on energy independence as Wikipedia has made on this article

In 1973 we imported 35% of our oil; today we import 60%. (1)

I will not name Bush or Clinton or any other President or party as the one responsible. I'll name them all, from Nixon to Obama, nobody has done anything really worthwhile as of yet. (Obama still has a chance to get off the list)

The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards were enacted by Congress in 1975. This was most likely the best thing to happen. I didn't like it at first, but if not for g'ment mandates we would most likely still have carburetors on our engines.

Hate me if you want, but way back when I voted for Perot with his 50 cent per gallon gas tax increase. Maybe GM would not have put so many of its eggs in the Hummer basket and we would have a few more smaller cars on the roads.

I still want a 430 horsepower Corvette, 16 city/26 highway ain't bad. For 15 city and 25 highway you can have 505 horsepower.

Currently driving a 1997 Neon, 27-30 MPG back and forth to the shop.

(1)

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Carter ( Democrat ) actually tried REALLY hard--he even created the "department of energy" but then, the next administration ( Republican) came into office.....

Bush and his brilliant idea of giving away taxpayer dollars via "suv tax incentives" to the hummer crowd" certainly didn't help.

Reply to
Uhh Clem

GM would just have gone belly up a bit faster. It's not like they seem to know what is going on ...

Reply to
jaman

Gotta be a joke in there somewhere

Reply to
Garlicdude

It's on you then. Think tax credit.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

---------- GM is like many of the great companies of their era [50s-60s] including PanAm, Eastern, and Sears. Their problem is that they would not or could not change with the times. More of the same only better is a death sentence in a changing environment.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

What's Eastern?

Reply to
K. Gringioni

only if youre too stupid to find a use for the generated heat and instead insist upon expelling it into the air as a waste by product

Reply to
Earwax museum

There was a thread, way back when, about somebody in Europe who was actually getting awards for his "design" of an air car, which was going to save the whole world. I did some of the math, and posted it here, and got flamed by everybody including the Pillsbury Doughboy. Not only are Americans (and pretty much everybody else) lousy at math, they don't even know what energy IS, or why you can't just grab it out of... uh...

...thin air.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

see Frank Lorenzo
that while "legal" Mr. Lorenzo ran a "bust out" scam with Eastern and is under a lifetime ban in the US aviation industry.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

------------ Indeed, presenting another bad v worse choice for the taxpayers.

You appear to have insight into the problems. There appears to be no way to fix the current situation other than plundering the solvent pension plans [via the PBGC] and then when that money runs out, plundering the taxpayers.

Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this from occurring in the future?

If they don't die first, everyone will need retirement income and end-of-life care.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Long term, I think it may go nuclear energy-generated electricity used to pull the hydrogen out of H2O, then use the hydrogen for fuel cells.

Reply to
K. Gringioni