Pipe tap depths.

Anybody know of a reference somewhere that would give to correct depths to run pipe taps? I thought of putting the tap into an OD thread gage but I don't have such a gage. Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

I don't have a thread book with me but it should be L2 effective thread length + champher length on your tool, that would be the depth to program IMO.

Check out page 166-167 (L2, roughly 7-7.5 Threads.)

Normally when running pipe threads you would want an L1, L2 and 6 step truncation gage.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I wound up with the quick & dirty method of taking what was considered an acceptable part, winding the tap into it, & measuring. Turned about to be close to what you say. Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

ff