set ring vs gage blocks / bore gage??

Hello all,
Could some one please explain to me why you get different readings on a
bore gage ( .0001 resolution) set with a set ring verses gage block or
a micrometer.My brain ( or lack of it )just cannot uderstand why there
is a difference.Given the set ring is round, but still a tangency
point is a tangency point, only one point of contact.Has anyone ran
across this before? Or was it me setting the bore gage. This was quite
a while ago , so I don't remember the exact difference. Any input would
be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and have a great one,
Hal
Reply to
hlinson
'exactly' how do they vary?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
Reply to
yourname
Hal:
They *should* come out exactly the same. Ring gauges are sort of self-centering - you just sweep your dial bore gauge through it. With flat gauge blocks you have to have perfect alignment in two axes at the proper point, sometimes a tricky maneuver to achieve if you don't do it often.
-- BottleBob
BottleBob
: Hello all, : Could some one please explain to me why you get different readings on a : bore gage ( .0001 resolution) set with a set ring verses gage block or : a micrometer.My brain ( or lack of it )just cannot uderstand why there : is a difference.
it's probably your feel for the gage
Reply to
Kathy
I agree with BB & Kathy. It's a bit tricky aligning a bore gage with the face's of a micrometer...just keep wiggling to you find a minimum reading. You didn't specify the difference, but if it's only a tenth, it could even be just thermal expansion. If you're checking something that close, it might be prudent to do it in a temperature controlled environment.
Reply to
jmulh