Spyware

I recommend to download this product if system problems continue where Spybot fails the test.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

The real fix: use an obscure operating system with an an equally obscure browser connected to a router with a firewall. Your problems are gone (at least the spyware). There is no other way at these days. Otherwise, you find yourself constantly "upgrading" your systems antivirus, antispam, anti-popup, ect...

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

The real fix: use an obscure operating system with an an equally obscure browser connected to a router with a firewall. Your problems are gone (at least the spyware). There is no other way these days. Otherwise, you find yourself constantly "upgrading" your systems antivirus, antispam, anti-popup, ect...

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Damn straight :-)

Reply to
hamei

"Bill" wrote in news:1111103171.965293.4780 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

But then there's that damn echo virus:(

Reply to
Dan Murphy

"John Scheldroup" wrote in news:39topvF625eb2U1 @individual.net:

I've found that anti-spyware programs alone don't do the trick. I've turned more to process monitoring and diagnostic programs. I use all of the following:

Process Guard =

(always running)

RAM Idle =

(always running)

Process Explorer =

(the best process diagnostic program)

Security Task Manager =

(also a great process diagnostic program)

These programs are great when used in conjunction with Norton and some anti-spyware software. To cap it off, use a Registry Optimizer (I like Systweak's Advanced Registry Optimizer) and you should have complete control over you PC.

Reply to
Robert Davidson

Per my previous post... that's just a rediculous amount of time and effort.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news:1111173375.748750.84640 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

So, there is just one way to keep a computer network safe and in optimum configuration, I take it? I think more ideas, even if they do not fit everyone's time and effort constraints, are a benefit to this NG. (I thought your idea was quite good, in fact)

It may take you a lot of time and effort to implement the programs I mentioned, but for me (and others, I'd suspect) it is quite simple and effective.

Reply to
Robert Davidson

Robert Davidson wrote in news:Xns961D53CD3347Catlasfinancial@216.196.97.142:

All you need is on this page:

Very reliable, very good, and FREE.

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony wrote in news:Xns961DB2ABF4B2acziparle3sp835@216.77.188.18:

Nice web site; a few observations:

  1. Mike Lin is from Holmdel, N.J. I lived in Toms River, N.J. for quite a while. Small world!
  2. The Start-up control and monitor functions are included in some of the programs I listed earlier, like RAM Idle and Process Guard. I think it's essential to have control over the programs that auto-load when you start your computer.
  3. Most of the other programs listed on Mike's web site are not XP tested. It looks like his site hasn't been updated in years ;( Not a guaranty that they won't work for someone out there, but frankly there is newer stuff available that I would reccomend. (see previous post)
Reply to
Robert Davidson

Robert,

I'm not singling you out in this. I too have spent some time blocking crap from my MS based computers. It's just that if you read what you posted it "looks" like lots of stuff just for simple internet access.

For me, I'm on the 'puter all day programming what I would consider complex parts. When I get home I don't want to spend anytime dinking around for trojans and such.

I find many folks are spending way too much time and money (time is money) fighting a problem that is only attacking certain systems and will never stop. It's created a cottage industry for "anti-spyware" much of which is spyware. An industry that's probably growing faster than our sickly manufacturing industry. The war on spam is like the war on drugs... a no ender.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news:1111187472.896555.74880 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I hear ya, Bill...and I can empathize. Time and money need to be factored into the mix.

Money: I forgot to originally post that all the programs I mentioned are free forever, with Security Task Manager and Advanced Registry Optimizer free for a 30 day trial.

Time: Although it may take a little time to learn to navigate/utilize each program at first, they differ from anti-spyware in that they can actually prevent the unwanted spam/trojan/malware from ever taking hold in your PC. I totally agree that the vast majority of so called anti- spyware programs are a rip off...that's why I advocate knowing and controlling what's actually running on your computer. Aside from doing what you suggested (running non-standard OS) I use Slimbrowser, not Internet Explorer, and I run XP firewall and Norton Anti-virus.

It's a bitch and truly a never ending conflict, just like you said, but it's completely unacceptable for a business owner to not protect their systems (especially when sensitive personal financial data is involved). I personally think it's a big enough of a threat to put a bit of effort into it. If you're just using your 'puter to web surf and play games or something, I really don't think too much precaution is warranted. But at the same time I can't tell you how many friend's/relative's computers I've fixed, and all they do is surf. Go figure.

Reply to
Robert Davidson

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Robert Davidson wrote back on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:22:56 -0600 in alt.machines.cnc :

Yes there is a way to keep a computer safe. Run it off batteries, in a Tempest quality room, and keep it in a locked vault. Under those conditions, even MS Outlook is "secure".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The computer game industry with annual growth potential

2005 is expected to be at around 10 billion us dollars, that industry is just beginning, so long as obscure operating systems are compliant with DirectX and OpenGL or development tools to make them, then one more piece of the puzzle of niche marketing can be satisfied. Obscure operating systems should be made compliant with those gaming environments.

What if we were to add Cad and Cam for business applications, with what components must all these have in common in order to function independently inside 100 obscure OS's ?

Would it make sense to standardize all of these OS's so that they are compliant with each other with a set of common components or would it be better to force each application to be compliant each and every obscure OS ?

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

problems

If an O/S is made "compliant" then it becomes popular. Popular = Popular for hacking...

My thought is to create the dual boot setup just for doing mail and web surfing. That said, many pc apps now require an internet connection just to work. Still, if one keeps the majority of internet usage on the "obscure" O/S, I think you'll be way better off. Also, use non MS browsers and mail on your MS drive.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill