Stem Cell Research is a GO

The research universities have a huge patent portfolio bringing in megabucks to them. They can afford to pay for the reseach. Harvard has $37 billion endowment. And they spend about $10 million of that a year. Talk about ripping off the people.
Calif Bill wrote:

You didn't attend Harvard, did you Bill?

That's nice. Do you know the numbers for basic research as a whole? They aren't all Harvard.
-- Ed Huntress

all
private
money
off
megabucks
Cites ?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/01/24/harvards_endowment_surpasses_34_billion /
Notice they have announce an improvement in financial aid to $120 million. Was a lot of criticism for their paltry amount of financial aid with the huge endowment monies. $120 million is still chump change.

paying
Like
condition
skin
about
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/01/24/harvards_endowment_surp asses_34_billion/
I didnt see any mention of patent portfolios.

Because after 20 years or so of experimentation, the only thing they've managed to do with the embryo's, is kill them.
Matt
*********** It's a big deal to get the government on board because individual investors wont put a dime into it. Not because of the moral issues, but because after 20 years of no returns what idiot would put money in that?

Embryos? Nah...theve managed to spit em out, nearly full term, in batches of 8

Looks like you'll be rearing test tube babies for all kinds of research now.

Croque Monsieur says:

When they develop a detectable inside and outside, they'll each get a name...and they'll have a star named after them.
This will be done very carefully so they aren't mixed up with the blastocysts of tapeworms or parakeets, from which they'll be indistinguishable without DNA testing.
-- Ed Huntress

Ed, I have no doubt that you are indistinguishable from a tapeworm, but my granddaughters are not at all like you.
Thank you for your confession.

But when they were blastocysts and candidates for stem-cell research, you couldn't tell them apart from a garden slug or a macaw.
Do you understand this?
-- Ed Huntress

Actually, I don't. Thank you for asking.

I suspect you're being coy about this but just in case...
At the point at which they're used for stem-cell extraction and research, the blastocycsts of most creatures look identical -- and have the same degree of sentience, which is to say, none at all.
So the conflict is strictly a religious one, not a scientific one. That's not to dismiss the religious point of view, only to identify where all of this conflict comes from. This, too, I suspect you know. Right?
-- Ed Huntress

Ed, since they look identical why aren't you using the tapeworm and parakeet blastocysts?

Actually, its not. Its a scientific one.

It sure was meant too, though.

The science and the conflict comes in where you say that they look identical to all manner of things but then you can't use all manner of things in your research, right? You have to use actual human tissue, no?
So when O'bama allows government money to be spent violating the nuremburg medical code of ethics (post nazi germany) and on trade in human tissue and trafficing, will Mudge and Winston shout for his execution?

Do you think that octuplet gal in California is merely farming tissue for sale to the researchers?

Wrong DNA.

Tell us about that.

Each of us weighs the measures of value differently. I have mine, but I'm not denigrating others. I'd rather help clear up the scientific issue, however, than to be one of the propagandists who intentionally try to cloud it.

Right. Human tissue.

Which provision of the Nuremburg Code do you think has been violated? Article One, or Article Five?

I don't know; I rarely speculate; and I almost never guess.
Again, I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about this being a scientific issue. It appears you're questioning on the basis of an ethical or political issue, not a scientific one.
-- Ed Huntress

So not identical. Not even close. Science has answered the question.

----

--

There is no way to take the religious seriously. The only serious thing
about them is how seriously inconsistent they are. They don't call a hen's

Ed Huntress is a LIAR! He does not represent trhuthfully! LIAR!