Supplied Voltage -- 208 vs. 240

In article , Michael A. Terrell wrote: : :Gunner Asch wrote: :> :> I live in a rural area west of Bakersfield..and I get 240-250 volts. One :> of my phase converters (on my Gorton Mastermill) really doesnt like it :> over about 242vts..and goes into alarm simply sitting there when the :> power is high. Many is the day in summer time that I couldnt use the :> mill until late at night when t he power drops below 242 volts. :> :> And Ive called PG&E..commonly known as Pacific Greed and Extortion...and :> complained..and I always get blown off because its "within 10% +/-" : : : Add a 'buck' transformer to lower it some. A high current 12 volt :transformer with its secondary connected in series, but out of phase :would give you about 238 volts when the line is 250 volts. of course, :the primary is connected to the AC line before the secondary. The :secondary of the transformer has to handle the full current of the load, :but some old battery charger transformers are big enough. Just make sure :to check the phasing before connecting the load.

The transformer will be happier if the primary sees the reduced voltage unless it has the extra iron needed to handle 250 volts without starting to get into the saturation region. In essence, you're making a voltage divider, but with transformer windings, not resistors.

| | | | | @ @ | | +-----+ +----------+ | +----| 12V |--+--| 240V |----+ +-----+ | +----------+ | | | | | | |

Mind the polarity dots. You're hooking this up in "boost" polarity, but then reversing the roles of input and output.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

So far I have never had a buck reansformer saturate, but I know how it works. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In article , Michael A. Terrell wrote: : :Robert Nichols wrote: :> :> The transformer will be happier if the primary sees the reduced voltage :> unless it has the extra iron needed to handle 250 volts without starting :> to get into the saturation region. In essence, you're making a voltage :> divider, but with transformer windings, not resistors. :> :> :> | | :> | | :> | @ @ | :> | +-----+ +----------+ | :> +----| 12V |--+--| 240V |----+ :> +-----+ | +----------+ | :> | | :> | | :> | | :> :> Mind the polarity dots. You're hooking this up in "boost" polarity, :> but then reversing the roles of input and output. : : : So far I have never had a buck reansformer saturate, but I know how :it works. :)

Have you ever hooked up a 'scope displaying the input current waveform on an unloaded transformer and seen how the current spikes up at the end of each half cycle? That's the core starting to go into saturation, and it doesn't take much overvoltage to cause it. Wherever possible, I prefer not to ask a transformer winding to handle more than its nominal voltage.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Yes, i have That's how I know none of them were saturating. I've worked in electronics for almost 45 years. Repair, manufacturing & as a broadcast engineer.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just had 3 ph service connected to my residence where I have my shop. I have learned more that I want to know about AC power distribution. The power company quoted $1200 and one week after city inspection to connect to my new service entrance. It took 13 weeks to get it done. Seems like they failed to check the avalible space on the pole in my yard.

The primary 3ph on the pole is 7600V. I could have anything I wanted because the transformer(s) determine what you get. I chose delta

240V. The power company refers to transformers as pots. The single phase center tapped pot is connected like it would feed a single 240V service, thats neutral and one phase on the primary lines. Another pot is connected to neutral and another phase. The secondary is connected to the center tap (neutral secondary of the other pot) and creats the third phase from the other wire. It's open delta but if the power load demanded it another pot would be added to close the delta for more power. Safety ground comes from the service entrance ground rod and connects to the incoming neutral bus bar in the panel. The service entrance is the only place the neutral and safety ground can be connected. With a delta connection the neutral is taken from the center tap of one winding. That makes the third leg higher that the others from neutral. I think it's about 280V. It's referred to as the high leg and must be marked orange. It also must come into the panel as the middle conductor. No single phase power is taken from it. Wye connected power has 120V to neutral from all three legs but across the legs is 208V. It's used in offices where most of the power is 120V 1ph.

The original single phase service is connected to the house. The new service is connected to the shop and is on the two phases not connected to the house. Should the original secondary trip off I still have power. I don't share the 3ph pots so the only load is my load on the secondary side. I am 1/2 mile from the power station that supplies the primary from the distribution lines. The power plant one mile away and in sight of my shop. I rarely loose power.

Dave

Reply to
erokc