T14 M16 Robodrill

Pardon me for this on topic post but I have a question.

I'm trying to tram the drive keys after a spindle change but get a no tool alarm that basically stops me in my tracks. Anyway to turn that off via a keep bit?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Probably not, since you're talking about part of a pretty basic safety system. (To prevent the machine from throwing tools at you.)

Easiest workaround is to satisfy the prox switch that confirms the correct positon of the drawbar when there's a tool in place. The prox will likely be at the top of the spindle, easy to get to. It'll be watching a collar or dog on the top of the drawbar. Adjust it so it's made even when clamped without a tool, or just remove it (bracket and all to save readjusting when you're done) and tape a little piece of steel over it's end.

Be careful, though. Machines that have this kind of sensor usually don't like running the spindle without a tool. When there's no tool to limit its stroke, the drawbar might rub on the end of its bore, or against the cylinder that drives it, which is supposed to be clear before the spindle starts. A few slow revs to set up orientation probably won't hurt; but twist the spindle by hand to check for resistance of any kind, and listen carefully for bad noises.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Or, if the prox is normally closed, and only opens when the drawbar strokes too far for lack of a tool, you might need to just move it so it can't see its collar or dog, and so it doesn't know where the drawbar really is.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

The way it is built, it doesn't really like it. I think the company is going to lose one cat 30 tool holder tomorrow after I cut away enough so I can tram the drive dogs. A 1/32" wide abrasive wheel on a surface grinder is pretty awesome!

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch