Tool calibration frequency

How frequently measuring tools need to be calibrated at the company? Is there any guide line? Company I work for calibrates every 6 months, mostly calipers and micro meters. Told them, I think it's too much. Once a year or two would be enough! JS

Reply to
Protagonist

You start with a short calibration period and develop an error history on each instrument. If the instrument holds calibration over the period you bump up the period between calibrations until you reach the maximum of one year or what is the max recommended by the mfgr. If the instrument does not hold calibration, you throw it away or send it out for repair.

John John

Reply to
John

Are you working with ±.005? Then maybe that's okay. If you're working with ±.0005, then it should be oftener. We calibrate our stuff all the time, especially when starting jobs that might be ±.0002 or .0003. And then we make sure that the QC and the floor instruments agree.

You know - measure twice, cut once, and all that.

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

What's the difference between every 6 months, and two times a year? ;o)

Reply to
Petersen_Michael

My question is about official rules, like ISO9001 or some thing, not what you think it should! I own my tools and I know when they are out or needs to be replaced, if they are bad! Quality tools last! JS

Reply to
Protagonist

Good one! (o: Thx!

Reply to
Protagonist

We are in the middle of an AS9100 program, and I dont' remember anything about a recommended frequency - although most of the standards are open-ended enough so that you can make your own determinations as to the frequency, again, depending upon the kind of work that you're doing.

Our optical comparators and several other larger pieces of equipment are done annually. Most of our other stuff is done on an as-needed basis; that is, when a job needs a certain micrometer, gauge, etc., it's calibrated before it hits the floor and checked against the QC standard. We may not need that piece for another 6 months or two years, so there's no point calibrating it when we don't need it.

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

Who writes the ISO standard for a shop?

Is the calibration for your feeling of well-being, or is it for the customer's?

Yes, until they're worn out from use.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Poor quality tools wearing out is a conspiracy between the Masons and the Jews. The Chinese have recently become co-conspirators.

Honest.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude