Antonym of 'Executive Controller'

Most control systems that I know of involve some sort of executive controller that's responsible for taking some user's desired result and
turning it into commands for other things, and the 'real' controllers that actually make the loops work.
Some examples of this are:
A flush toilet, where the 'executive controller' is the flush handle, and the ball valve and float valve are the two 'real' control systems that handle sequencing the flush and making sure that the tank fills for the next go round.
The IR imaging systems I used to work on, where the executive controller is the system control box that's responsible for managing system modes, and transmitting user commands like 'increment field of view' or 'slew to this here position' to the appropriate subsystem. The 'real' controllers in this case are the actual motion control loops that make the lenses move, or causes the turret to slave to a different location.
So is there a recognized name for the 'real' controller? I always just call it the 'controller', and if I need to talk about it at all I call the other thing the 'executive controller'. But I'm giving a presentation in a few weeks to a bunch of people who aren't control systems folks, and if I use 'controller' and 'executive controller' they'll be confused.
Of course I've seen the terms 'motion controller' and 'process controller', but those are just 'real' or 'non-executive' controllers -- they don't give me a general term to use.
I'm thinking 'dynamic controller'.
Any opinions?
Thanks.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Fred Stevens wrote:

Possible. I'll have to dig. That's a lot of material to dig through for just one nugget -- but if no one makes my life easier it's a suggestion I may take.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

That's an interesting question. Without ever having given it much thought, I've referred to them collectively as "local" controllers, and specifically along the lines of "claw controller", "left knee controller", and other task-specific identifiers. Will that approach do?
Jerry

You wouldn't be referring to supervisory control and regulatory control, are you?
Michael

Yes, but in a servo system it's not 'regulatory' control, it's, well, a servo. So I guess I need something that means 'servo and/or regulator' but sounds nicer...
Herman Family wrote:

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I've always found that the best approach with this is to come up with the most intuitively satisfying descriptions you can. That helps people remember, and there's always the chance that your 'invention' will capture the vernacular ('priceless' in the Mastercard ads).
Master/slave? Initiator / implementer? Don't think I've hit the spot. I'm sure to think about it over the next few days, I'll post again if something comes up.
What's wrong with "supervisory control"?
Bruce

Bruce Durdle wrote:

Nothing. Tim wants a good term for the controllers in the system.
Jerry

Bruce Durdle wrote:

I use that as a synonym of 'executive control', not the antonym.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

<examples snipped>
Lots of interesting responses from control theorists (with the field's terminology). I wonder what sort of an audience you are to confront? Maybe terms from *that* field of expertise would clarify matters, and be immediately recognized?
So, maybe, "auxiliary controller", "associated controller", "subservient controller", "effector", even "instantiating controller" (uggh!) if your audience comes from business, law, medicine, software etc.
Just a thought....<grin>
Geoff.

I second the question. This wouldn't be for a textbook on the subject, would it?
Michael
Herman Family wrote:

No. It's for a talk that accompanies a book signing for a text on the subject. The audience will probably be mostly software engineers with no control systems training, with a sprinkling of the general public and a few friends-and-relations. Ideally it'll read like a Scientific American article -- I have to assume some prior knowledge, but I can't assume any prior _control systems_ knowledge.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

How 'bout, "blue collar", directed goal, slave or follower controller.
John Popelish wrote:

I like "blue collar" -- I think even if I name it 'dynamic controller' I will still explain that it's the carrying out the work.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

I like it, because not only does it imply it is not concerned with the "big picture", it doesn't care what the big picture is.
That is someone else's job.
It just gets its job done, and collects its pay.

What about 'initiation controller' and 'action controller'?
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

What about the term I used above without noticing: task-specific controller?
Jerry