Error messages when using Brooks SmartDDE under WinXP

I receive some error messages (for example: Stack fault at position...) when I try to use Brooks SmartDDE 1.2 under WinXP.
I need to control three DMFCs by means of some Excel macros calling SmartDDE. How can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.