how to quickly get up to speed on wonderware line

Does anyone have any experiences learning WW? I need to get up to speed quickly and searching the web leaves alot to be desired.
I have done some of the online getting started tutorials from thier site but need more details. Any books or sites dedicated to learning this?
Thanks, David
proclaimed to the world:

The basics of Wonderware are very quick and easy to learn. Drawing the screens and mapping I/O to those buttons and indicators. To give you an idea of time, knowing nothing about WW, I purchased the integrator package and I/O blocks and had a working system in place in about three months. This had around 60 I/O points all connected through modbus.
WW has a knowledge base CD with sample apps as examples that help speed the process. Take a look at this.
"Paul M" <PaulMatWiredogdotcom> wrote in message

Three months!!! Crikey!.. Now I know why we don't use WW and haven't for years.
A complete rookie can have a fully-functional CitectSCADA project up and talking to the PLC in about three *hours* (and using Switch2Citect you could port your existing 60-point WW project to Citect in about the same time).
Good luck with your project. :-)
Cameron:-)

I agree but you have to do what the client wants even though there is always a better way. Thanks.
proclaimed to the world:

The time I quoted as taking for getting a WW system running was the total for the entire system. I found that the time to develop the GUI and links to I/O easier that any other program. Most of that time was taken up with working out the bugs in communication, many of which were hardware related.
So a better answer would be this. The wonderware portion of the project took about 60 man/hrs, most of which involved learning the system. If I had to do the same kind of project again, it would take me maybe a week, not including the hardware installation. Mapping I/O is easier in wonderware than any other system I have looked at.

Thanks for the info and if you can help me understand a couple of points it would be a great help. Having problem with terminology.
Got the graphics creation down but understanding the relationships is another story
Can you give me a simple explaination and examples for "Access Name", "Node Name", "Application Name", "Topic Name"? I am trying to understand simply what goes where.. say for example you have one AB PLC in the field and I am trying to access data points. Also where is the driver software located, loaded, and configured. How can you tell what drivers you have loaded on a system?
I know it is a lot to answer but am really stuck with this stuff and haven't worked with it much except making the graphics.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@eatel.net says...

This is from memory (and mine's getting a little rusty): Application name is the executable name for the driver, you see it when you look at the task list (without the .EXE bit).
Topic Name allows you to create different poll rates to the same PLC. Important for big projects and not so important for smaller jobs. We used to put all alarm bits and operator actions into a fast scan topic and analog values into a slow scan topic. You need at least one of these to communicate at all.
Node Name allows you to have InTouch on one PC and the driver (or another InTouch node) on another PLC.
As to what drivers are loaded, that's tricky. All wonderware software shows up on the Start menu. Third party drivers can be anywhere. InTouch doesn't install any drivers - too many to choose from I guess.

proclaimed to the world:

The mapping of I/O is different for each device. I never did any PLC interfacing so I cannot help much.
Node Name IDs the PLC. Application Name is name of the exe the PLC uses to comm. You can get different communications options with AB PLCs so this depends on what you are using. It should be the driver file.
Wonderware has a library of drivers. I used to get them on a separate CD. You can get the AB driver from AB too. The Wonderware library has separate instructions for each driver.
The last time I did a Wonderware system was five years ago. I don't have the software loaded anymore. I take it you are trying to do this without factory support? I know the $1000/yr I paid for support was a little steep. So is the site licence.

Thanks for all the info!
I am the new guy at an eng firm that is doing the work for a 3rd company so we have to go through them for equip, software, etc. not directly to WW. My background is Realflex, scada, and communications but have done some graphics using InTouch but this is my first stab at programming apps w/ WW. It looks like most of what I am going to do is going to be WW and have limited resources. Not much info out there
proclaimed to the world:

There should be lots of info. I will try and dig up some when I can. Do you have any of the knowledge base help files?
Paul M wrote:

I have the /Books that are loaded with InTouch and have done the Getting Started pages on WW website. I just need more details that would put it all together for me.
Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.
proclaimed to the world:

It will all come together and then it will not take very long. It looks like your problems stem from not having the support documents for the AB interface. Find the ones for your application and you should be home free. Before you link all the data points, thinking you have it right, test a data point and see if you have comm. Then try and send data and see if the PLC responds. Best if you can do this in the shop. The systems I put together seemed to please the operators and it was easy to make minor changes in the field with the system running.
Good luck.

Thanks for all the info. I have no problem with the straightforward configuration, graphics, etc I am trying to figure out design issues and want to make sure that it is bulletproof. Client has some daily inputs he wants to be able to cut and paste into a excel spreadsheet. I have WW server pulling the cell data from this sheet. Need these Excel inputs along with some field inputs, already in WWW, to perform some calcs and spit out the massaged data. What I am trying to figure out is: 1. Can WW perform these calcs, right now they are done manually using Excel formulas, and where to set them up 2. Some of the field inputs swing badly and would need to dampen this. How can I set up a moving avg on certain points from the field
I know this is asking a lot but do appreciate any nudges anyone can give me.
Thanks
proclaimed to the world:

Yes, Wonderware can do this. I can remember doing this but would have to go back and find where. As I remember it was within the same line that tags the input. I don't remember having any trouble finding how to do this.

Same answer as above for this except I remember have trouble here. I believe there is an input filter option you specify when creating the tag. You can filter within the HMI but the alarms do not see this filter, so were tripping. I had to ask Wonderware about this. It's in the Knowledge base.

Not at all. I wish I could help more but it has been a while.