pid parameters determining

Hi there, I need to find out the three parameters of a pid thermal regulator of an induction heating oven. Is the Ziegler-Nichols the most usefull method to get Kp, Ki and Kd? How can I determin the transfer function of the system? Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

ZN may not be the best, but I can't say what is till you define 'best". ZN method includes the system test that allows you to determine the coefficients, assuming they will let you play with the actual system enough to complete the test without an operator having a heart attack.

Reply to
John Popelish

Get St. Clair's booklet at

Walter

Reply to
Walter Driedger

Thanks everybody for asking me back, but I've got one more question. Do anyone knows a brief and comprehensive explanation of the three control parameters Kp, Ki and Kd? I need to get some rules like "if you increase Kp the system will... because Kp does..." for each of them, letting me understand their meaning and what happens tuning one or another. Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

I wrote a non mathematical tutorial on tuning PID controllers based on observing a trend of the process. It is available, online at:

goes into some detail on the effects of the three components.

Reply to
John Popelish