Question?

What is a DIGITAL MOTORPOTENTIOMETER? Were is used? Thanks. Chris

Reply to
CLT

See, for example, Hitachi's L300p Series variable-speed motor drives.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

There is a lot of info about the L300p, but i don't see were fits the Digital - Motorpotentiometer. The one that i have is a Siemens

6RA8222-8BA0. Give me a hand if you can Jerry. Thanks a lot. Chris.

Jerry Av> Hitachi's L300p Series variable-speed motor drives.

Reply to
CLT

It's mostly a German word as far as I know. I'm not being cutesy. If it had a good definition, I would have passed it on. I hoped that a solid reference would be helpful. I ran across the term in a L300 blurb, and I thought you might be able to dig something out of a data sheet. My best guess is that it was originally a motor-driven pot (why? for what?) and the digital version might be similar to a digitally controlled volume control, but for power. (Somewhere in my junk there is a motor-operated three-phase 208-V Variac. I brought it home to strip the motor and worm- gear reduction drive from, but in the end, I didn't have the heart.) Remember: just a guess.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

The remote volume control on my Panasonic portable stereo uses a motor driven pot. It's probably been 15 years since I last saw one in a control panel. It was the interface between two discrete outputs from a PLC and the pot input to a diesel engine governor. The outputs drove the motor in opposite directions to increase or decrease engine speed. I've seen the digital pot option in Allen-Bradley drives. The function uses two contact inputs to the drive, one to increase the speed and the other to decrease the speed. It's comparable to holding the up and down buttons on the keypad, if it has them.

As for the Siemens version, I can't tell you much more since I've never used them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond

I guess it's not too hard to imagine what a digital motor potentiometer is, then. (Digital motorpotentiometer in Teutonic tongues.)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

CLT

Quantity? Size? A place to start is the Betatronics link I provided. Again:

Google. If you want English, don't make it one word.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

I think it refers to the way you manually input speed into the drive's keypad or front panel when you are not using an external speed reference. For example, the Hitachi SJ100 has a physical knob you can turn to vary the speed. This would be an "analog motor potentiometer". The Hitachi L300P has no physical knob to turn, but the function is duplicated by pushbuttons that vary the manual speed setting up and down. This would be a "digital motor potentiometer".

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Googling for "motorpotentioneter" and "motor potentiometer" led me to a different conclusion.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins