SLC500 needs ethernet

I am new to PLC and have just bought a SLC500 L542 system with power supply and 10 racks 7 of which are filled, 3 are empty.
I am a little disappointed to see that this unit doesn't have ethernet capability. So now looking for a economical solution. What kind of module can I buy to give this rack ethernet capable? How much am I looking to spend?
I would appreciate if you tell me the module model number too if possible. eg. 1747-XXX etc thanks
I'm not sure if AB makes a SLC Ethernet module, however you might find a third party e-net module Unless you have a compelling reason for selecting the L542 why not trade up to the L552 Ethernet processor. Give your local AB sales person a call....Good luck

Stephen,
The poster is correct in telling you to go back to AB and trade for a SLC 5/05 with Ethernet. The 1761-NET-ENI will work, and you will use up one of the two comm. ports on your 5/04.
AB, like most manufacturers, has their own protocol transported over Ethernet, and it requires software with the proper licenses to use. They are available from AB like RSView, or from Wonderware and others, or as third party OPC servers.
Why do you want Ethernet, and what do you want to do with it? AB over Ethernet is ridiculously expensive (IMO) but it makes sense in certain situations.
Give us some more information and there may be other options as well.
Jake

10 racks? Wow! How many slots per rack? 32 bit cards?
I am sure your local very friendly AB rep can sell you an ENET module or a 5/05 with built-in Ethernet.
Warren http://www.pc-pid.com
I don't know a whole lot about AB, but I do know that ProSoft makes a lot of modules that are built for AB PLC's. They may have something.
http://www.prosoft-technology.com /
Curtis
I was able to pick up the L542 for a decent price for learning purposes. Unfortunately I don't think I want to spend $5k or whatever for a L552 just to have some hands on experience with this stuffs.

Stephen wrote:

Have you looked on http://www.ab.com/ (which is Rockwell Automation's site).
They have 1761-NET-ENI series B interface which Ethernet enables any MicroLogix product (so it says anyway). See:-
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/communication/eni.html#C
Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@a...>
1761-NET-ENI plus the correct RS-232 cable gets the physical network connected, but then you need some kind of software such as Wonderware or RSView to communicate with the PLC ($$$).
I advise doing some research in the online manuals section of www.ab.com
snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (Stephen) wrote in message

Unfortunately I only have access to RS-Linx communication package. Do you think this will work with 1761-NET-ENI module on the SLC-L542?
snipped-for-privacy@control-tech.com (Charles Erskine) wrote in message

Stephen,
If you just want to learn, then you've got all you need.. probably.
RSLinx will allow you to use DF1 and a serial cable to talk to the 5/04... Ethernet is not required. You will need programming software like RSLogix or the old DOS based AI Series stuff, though.
You can still do on-line programming and such with DF1... it's just slower... like 19.2 k (I think) is the fastest you can go. That should be fast enough, though.
You can also use DH-485 (Data Sidewalk 19.2k) or DH+ (Data Highway Plus 56 k) with converters that can be found reasonably. The DH-485 converter is more commonly called a PIC, and DH+ converters like a KF-2 (stand alone box) or KTX series (PC expansion cards) are on Ebay a lot.
The 5/04 is a good PLC to learn with... rich command set and lots of communication options. If you need more help, you can e-mail. The return addy is good.
Jake