Well Level Detector

I need something to measure the level in a well. The well has distilled water in it. Its about 30 feet deep and only 6" wide. I
would like something that I could just drop in, so I could take a reading and then put the lid back on. Is there something out there for me. Are there any devices that I could point and shoot to get the distance (that would be perfect).
Thanks, Blair

How about a cork on a piece of string?
blairlakehead snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Well drillers and maintainers typically use a sonic device at the well cap (think sonar), such as this:
http://www.globalw.com/products/wl600.html
--Gene
Blair
I have been instrumenting wells and water tanks for several decades. You can select a wide variety of solutions. The major issues are accuracy and frequency of measurements, and if there is anyother equipment down the well. Any yes the cork and string could work, though you might not be satisfied with the data quality.
Sonic probes can be problematic in wells because of the relatively small diameter resulting in less that ideal accuraccy.
If you need measurements once in a while - as much as daily a steel tape with weight and chalk is highly accurate. Alternately a low voltage resistor probe with a calibrated and marked cable works effectively. See the link below. There are other maufacturers. This is the piece of equipment that well drillers, hydrologists, and environmental scientists would typically use.
http://ken-tech.net/index.html
If you need frequent measurements then you might consider a stand alone downhole data logger.
http://www.in-situ.com /
If you need to tie the data into a data automation process then you get into the a different realm.... of PLC automation. Which is another story..
Hope this helps
Best of luck
Steve