Advice for a beginner, please.

I've just joined an evening course to sharpen my mechanical engineering skill on the lathe, miller, drill etc and I would be grateful if I could
pick your experience and intelligence for advice.
Are there any books worth buying on metalworking or should my instructor suffice?
Anyone got some ideas as to what sort of ambitious project I could go for, preferably with drawings already available? I was thinking of an inertial gyroscope, synchronous/induction/steppermotor, clock or how about a number of small projects designed to get me to know each machine and metalworking technique inside out?. Regards j

Try this link http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/index.html basic machining internet style. If you do a search for the Army and Navy machining manuals they are free downloads. These will keep you busy and info is excellent!
Ken