Your Advice Please

Hello All, i hope this does not sound too dumb a question, i am really keen to go to evening class's at my local college to learn Welding, i want to be able to carry out major repairs etc. on Vehicles (mainly mine!!!) but there are so many different types of Welding courses i am seriously confused as to what methods i should be looking out for. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks Mick

PS Hope that makes sense?

Reply to
Mental

Just go in and register for Welding 101 its equivalent. Like any college, they will place you in a class to suit your abilities, experience, training, education, and goals. (In an ideal world, anyway.) Start at the beginning, and you will see where your interests take you. After you get started, you can spend more time on the processes that interest you, or take additional courses in those.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Start with an oxy-acetylene gas welding course. Then move on to MIG and stick.

I start all my students on gas, for at least a few weeks.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie Our college offers O/A and also Stick separate classes and then mig after. Q is, Should I consecrate O/A Mon, Wed only or O/A and stick that goes Tues, Thurs along with O/A on M / W. I would like to learn as much as I can to maybe I will go with plan and design.

What does most of your older students (40 years old) do? Maybe it does not mater. Don

Reply to
Don D

Many Thanks for all your replys, good advice, now all i need to do is find a college local to me offering such courses part-time, especially for a mature student!! so far no luck, the nearest college offering courses similar is almost 40 miles away!!.

take care

Reply to
Mental

Everybody starts in gas if they haven't welded before. Some of them stay with gas for the whole quarter. Most want to move onto something else after a month or so.

The only thing that age affects in my classes is how powerful the lens insert is in their welding hood.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Then see if you can buy a gas rig, and find a local weldor who is willing to tutor you a few times a week, or maybe every weekend for a few hours.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Some high schools still offer ROP courses for adults.

Reply to
Paul Calman