220 v receptacle, electric range

On 20 Sep 2004 15:15:12 GMT Greg wrote: |>But were the rules on |>remarking colors in place back then (whenever then was)? | | Yes, my oldest code book is 75 but you were still required to use white wires | for grounded legs. The only change I know of was the recent requirement that | switch legs in cables shall be reidentified.

Which doesn't mean everyone followed it. Economic (like, we have all this black/red/blue cable lying around unused) reasons are often strong. Had the code specified remarking at the time, maybe they would have done that as a cheap way to comply.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

That should work....unless the OP threw the wrong breaker. Then he can kiss his ohmmeter good bye. Assuming the cable is hot, and testing it that way is probably safer.

If its already marked, then its OK to leave the markings as-is. But if the homeowner is going to bring a pro in to do the work, he (she?) would be better off not marking, or fiddling with the situation as-is.

P.S. I don't know that I'd ever trust any marking job I ran into if I didn't know who did it. It's too easy to test again, assuming that the previous work may have been based on some whacko advice gleaned from the usenet. ;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.